Stantons Hairdressers and Barbers shop Coventry

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj9966

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Stantons Hairdressers and Barber shop was in business at these premises for many years, they relocated in 2005 and it has been empty ever since.

The shop is adjoined to the old watchmakers factory which was lastly occupied by Electronics Products (Coventry ) Ltd, I have previously reported that in another thread.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=9462&highlight=coventry

Not too much left in Stantons but it has not been too badly trashed and there were a few decent bits.

The house to the left which is directly connected to the factory building is heavily fire damaged and there really is nothing to see inside.

Here are some pictures.

DSCN1653.jpg

DSCN1654.jpg

DSCN1708.jpg

Hallway

DSCN1696.jpg

Stairway to upstairs flat

DSCN1678.jpg

Upstairs

DSCN1683.jpg

Barbers shop

DSCN1657.jpg

DSCN1659.jpg

DSCN1706.jpg

DSCN1702.jpg

Hairdressers

DSCN1663.jpg

DSCN1674.jpg

DSCN1700.jpg

Factory at the rear

DSCN1713.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you stepped into a 70's timewarp. It must have been very posh in its day judging by the leaded glass

Looks like you stepped into a 70's timewarp. It must have been very posh in its day judging by the leaded glass

My thoughts here as well.

Some touches are earlier, that fireplace is very Art Deco.

To go slightly OT I went to Harrogate recently & ate out in a fish & chip shop that looked like it hadn't been redecorated for 30 years, but at least it was kept clean & the food was ok.

Yes it does look like it has been lft in another time. I like the touches especially the Gillette Razor pack with the old price on it! the fireplace and the glass was pure 30s though... outstanding! I am with Krela, how come it is not totally trashed.:confused:

Really like this, it's very different, well done for caputring it, I guess it's all too easy to overlook stuff like this, well done for getting in.

how come it is not totally trashed.:confused:

It is located on quite a busy road and the house through the wall to the right is occupied, so I think that has probably prevented it from getting too badly smashed up inside.

I think it would have been rather dated by the time it closed its doors. Dosnt seem to be chavved up though :mrgreen:

Absolutely love the leaded windows inside. Nice find, SJ.
The thing that I find the most interesting is the blue plaque, though. SJ, do all the watchmaker's houses have plaques? My Greatgrandfather was a Coventry watchmaker from a long line of Clerkenwell watchmakers. I've gleaned as much as I can from the net but I haven't come across any Guild lists for Coventry yet and I'd love to find out more.
Cheers. :)

That's pretty cool, you don't see too many derelict hairdressers. I like the flat upstairs also, although I'm a bit confused about that living room. I've heard of painting around a bit of furniture before, but plastering around it?

Something for the weekend, sir?

do all the watchmaker's houses have plaques?
Cheers. :)

There are quite a few watchmakers plaques dotted about on the houses around this part of town, I am not sure if they have covered them all.

I am afraid my knowledge on the subject is very limited, although I will try and find out more.
I didn't know ther was a Coventry watch museum, but I will pay it a visit soon. (when I find out where it is)

I didn't know ther was a Coventry watch museum, but I will pay it a visit soon. (when I find out where it is)

The museum isn't open yet, although there is a website with some good info.

click here

Last edited:
Very nice SJ. Used to drive past it every day. Always meant to stop and look at the plaque but never got round to it.

Time Team did a 'History Hunters' programme on the Chapelfields area years ago - never seen it repeated though

'Coventry is known for car manufacturing and the bombing of its cathedral, but did you know that, in the 18th and 19th centuries, it had a thriving watchmaking sector? This week, three teams of history hunters investigate the few remaining factory premises, the archives and the beautiful products of Coventry craftsmen to shed light on a little known corner of this city's history.'

Latest posts

Back