RNAS Worthy Down Pillbox Defences (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydealfred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The pillboxes shown in the following post form part of the defences that were built in 1940 to protect the Royal Naval Air Station at Worthy Down Hampshire. I am no expert on pillboxes but I believe they are predominantly Type 22’s. Some of the boxes are accessible internally others not. The accompanying map shows the location of each box on the post.

The shots were taken in August 2010.

Location Map

Worthy.jpg

Pillbox No 1 located next to the former Didcot Newbury & Southampton Railway

DSC_2239.jpg

External Wall Detail

DSC_2241.jpg

Loophole detail - The inscription 715 RE on the lintel appears to relate to 715 General Construction Company - Royal Engineers

DSC_2231.jpg

Pillbox No 2 - again located next to the former Didcot Newbury & Southampton Railway

DSC_2723.jpg

Internal view of Pillbox No 2 - what is the square box structure ?

DSC_2256.jpg

Pillbox No 3 - very overgrown - not easy to get a good shot

DSC_2662.jpg

Internal view of loophole - Pillbox 3

DSC_2715.jpg

Pillbox No 4 - No internal access possible on this one

DSC_2727.jpg

View of the firing shelf hinges taken through a loophole

DSC_2269.jpg

Pillbox No 5 - In a poor state with subsidance and internal damage

DSC_2275.jpg

Ceiling reinforcement detail

DSC_2279.jpg

Internal view of No 5 - Note collapsed ricochet wall

DSC_2280.jpg

Further internal view towards the entrance to the pillbox

DSC_2282.jpg

Exposed concrete reinforcement detail

DSC_2793.jpg

Pillbox No 6

DSC_2293.jpg

Internal view towards the entrance - note whitewashed walls

DSC_2290.jpg

Pillbox No 7 - no internal access

DSC_2730.jpg

Further external view

DSC_2294.jpg

Internal view taken through a loophole

DSC_2298.jpg

Pillbox No 8

DSC_2300.jpg

Pillbox No 8 - Entrance detail

DSC_2739.jpg

Internal loophole detail

DSC_2305.jpg

Pillbox No 9 - this one is of brick construction

DSC_2742.jpg

A tree grows straight through the middle of the pillbox and out through the roof

DSC_2309.jpg

Internal view - there does not appear to have been a ricochet wall unless it has been removed - there is a shaped hole in the middle of the pillbox floor which appears to be mirrored in the ceiling

DSC_2310.jpg

External loophole view

DSC_2752.jpg

Detail of roof construction - a mixture of brick and concrete

DSC_2753.jpg

This is the view and field of fire that would have been seen through one of the loopholes

DSC_2749.jpg

External view showing how overgrown the pillbox is

DSC_2316.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Fantastic thread Richard. It's good to see the bolts for the Turnbull mounts still in place and most of the shelves. I've never seen the box you show before but at a guess it may be to catch empty cartridges or hold magazines. The one with the tree is great, there's another like that at Biggin Hill.

Yes, I really like the tree pillbox too. :mrgreen: I'm intrigued with the corner brick details on two of them. It looks as though they just built walls and hoped they'd interlock at the edges! LOL. Maybe they just weren't versant with bricklaying, if not for another reason.
Nice work, HA. :)

Superb alf. You're making me feel even more annoyed that I couldn't get out this weekend. This bit of concrete (and brick) therapy helps though.

The tree box is brilliant and a first for me. And those corner finger joints caught my eye too.You'd normally face those off for aesthetics sake which takes time, something the engineers were short of I suspect.

Thanks for these.

Yep tree did it for me as well. Would have been good if the railway was still there but there is not much left the Didcot end either. Great set you have done there my man.:)

Superb alf. You're making me feel even more annoyed that I couldn't get out this weekend. This bit of concrete (and brick) therapy helps though.

The tree box is brilliant and a first for me. And those corner finger joints caught my eye too.You'd normally face those off for aesthetics sake which takes time, something the engineers were short of I suspect.

Thanks for these.

Thanks Munchh glad that I could allay your withdrawal symptons :mrgreen:

Yep tree did it for me as well. Would have been good if the railway was still there but there is not much left the Didcot end either. Great set you have done there my man.:)

Thanks NC. I wish the railway was still there complete with the 9F's on the Fawley oil trains. Now that would be worth seeing :)

Yes, I really like the tree pillbox too. :mrgreen: I'm intrigued with the corner brick details on two of them. It looks as though they just built walls and hoped they'd interlock at the edges! LOL. Maybe they just weren't versant with bricklaying, if not for another reason.
Nice work, HA. :)

I like to think there was an artistic streak in the RE's but I think this is a long shot :)

Fantastic thread Richard. It's good to see the bolts for the Turnbull mounts still in place and most of the shelves. I've never seen the box you show before but at a guess it may be to catch empty cartridges or hold magazines. The one with the tree is great, there's another like that at Biggin Hill.

Thanks CPT. The box structures are in place in other pillboxes in the post. There is just one per pillbox.

This does sound daft and may open me up to ridicule, but was the pillbox built around the tree - would be good natural camouflage :confused: :p

I have to admt I thought the tree had grown up through the ceiling hole - but is there another explanation ?

Why else is there a hole in the floor and one in the ceiling :confused:

Last edited:
You're quite correct, the pillbox would likely have been built around the tree for camouflage. The one at Biggin Hill certainly was.

Some great shots there mate, I like the one looking out the embrasure.
Looks like you missed the battle hq tho, tucked in the bushes to the west of pillbox '9' on your map.
It took me a long time to find it, might pop some shots up if i can find them.

Some great shots there mate, I like the one looking out the embrasure.
Looks like you missed the battle hq tho, tucked in the bushes to the west of pillbox '9' on your map.
It took me a long time to find it, might pop some shots up if i can find them.

Thanks DN - I didn't miss the HQ - that was going to be my next post along with the rest of the boxes on the site :)

Latest posts

Back