Raf Tranwell better known as RAF Morpeth

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
After doing the pillboxes at Mitford I thought I would have a look a short distance South to Raf Morpeth to see what was still there. The DoB has a few goodies for the place marked up although it turns out there is quite a bit more. A second visit is due shortly as my camera batteries died on me and I had forgot to pack spares like the plonker I am lol.

A bit of history on the place taken from Wiki

Tranwell Airfield, real name RAF Morpeth, is a former World War II Airfield in the English county of Northumberland, is situated about 3 miles (5 km) southwest of Morpeth and was an air gunners school. The site was home to No.80 (French) Operational Training Unit. Today the site has reverted to agriculture; several of the buildings remain and are used for storage. Parts of the hard standing remain and are used for a weekly car boot sale every Sunday.

The official title of this airfield during WW2 was Royal Air Force Station Morpeth, or more commonly known as RAF Morpeth, and initially housed No 4 Air Gunnery School (4 AGS). Accommodation was in 10 dispersal sites to the north and east of the airfield near Tranwell village and The Whitehouse Centre (following the war this area became a children's hospital). The main aircraft used during its early existence for teaching air gunners was the unpopular Blackburn Botha, which was very heavy and under powered, often taking the whole of the runway to get airborne. Following several crashes and collisions, it was eventually replaced with the Avro Anson. Most of the air gunnery practice occurred off shore at Druridge Bay where several of the original wartime structures still exist at the National Trust site, and flew between Newbiggin By The Sea and Coquet Island near Amble. Many of the airmen who flew here were Polish and several settled in the Morpeth area following the war. A large number of Polish casualties including airmen from this base are buried in St Mary's Church, Morpeth

A more indepth history can be found here (makes a good read) http://tranwell.wordpress.com/home/heritage/raf-morpeth-60-years-on-article/

Anyway on with the photos I did manage to get

Blast Shelter with the last remaining Miskin Blister hangers in the distance

DSCF6347.jpg

The DoB says there are 3 of these blast shelters well I found 5 so far all built to the same design

DSCF6353.jpg

Number2

DSCF6359.jpg

number3

DSCF6372.jpg

number4

DSCF6383.jpg

number5

DSCF6381.jpg

Firing range butts again the DoB says there is one well there is in fact 2 of them again both to the same size and design

number1 (not on the DoB)

DSCF6367.jpg

DSCF6368.jpg

DSCF6369.jpg

DSCF6370.jpg

this one still has its earth bank at the front of it where the other hasn't

DSCF6371.jpg

The other one (couldn't get near it because the farmer was moving livestock into the field and didn't want me frightening them)

DSCF6360.jpg

The remains of what I believe was a Stent prefabricated pillbox

DSCF6362.jpg

DSCF6363.jpg

DSCF6361.jpg

some of the taxi ways are still in pretty good condition (although covered in black ice)

DSCF6374.jpg

DSCF6382.jpg

Water storage

DSCF6355.jpg

DSCF6356.jpg

and lastly one of the surviving buildings

DSCF6375.jpg

DSCF6376.jpg

DSCF6377.jpg

DSCF6378.jpg

DSCF6379.jpg

Like I say I'm going to head back there and find the rest very soon because I know there are some fire control tanks in front of the other firing range, another couple of buildings, the remains of some anderson shelters, some aircraft tie down points and supposedly an ROC post on the site oh and I want to get nearer to that hanger. God knows what else I will find

Thanks for looking
Jon

yeah it was mate it warmed up a bit by the time I took these photos it had been -4degrees and it was about -1degrees the whole of the taxi way was sheet ice it was leathal

Nice on Mate, I enjoyed reading the history. Looked flipping cold!

Nice one Johnnies !! Never seen a blast shelter as free from undergrowth !! Thanx !!

Excillent work there johnny least the Farmer was ok with you looking round.

He seemed very stressed to be honest and I'm going to have to see him again because the anderson shelter remains and some other bits and bobs are on the land he keeps his sheep on. The first firing range butt has a footpath next to it and the taxi way end of the airfield has a public right of way through it. The other two remaining buildings are supposed to be hidden in the trees but where is something I'm going to have to investigate. The shelter remains are at the southern end of the site

rafmorpeth.png

Good stuf Jonney. Blast shelters etc have been added by me from spotting on GE. I know I'm superhuman but even I can't see through tree cover :) I'll add the ones you've placemarked and good work spotting the extra Butt, I think that's pretty unusual unless the one you didn't get to was used as a shooting in Butt.

Thanks Jon. Another great report on our vanishing defence heritage.

Do you really mean "Anderson shelters"? Looking at aerial view of the airfield there look to be the remains of a couple of Stanton shelters.

Minor point - it's hangar not hanger

Hey mate as usual excellent stuff, I know this site well I have sent you a PM with some links in it, perhaps you can confirm if some of what I've found belongs to the former site as well.

Thanks Jon. Another great report on our vanishing defence heritage.

Do you really mean "Anderson shelters"? Looking at aerial view of the airfield there look to be the remains of a couple of Stanton shelters.

Minor point - it's hangar not hanger

spelling never was my strong point lol and yeah you got me on that one I did mean Straton shelters I always get the two mixed up

The next installment

...And now for the next installment (there are going to be a few more updates in the next few weeks because this place just keeps giving and giving). First off can I just say the building in the previous post is actually the "Towed Target Storage shed" and how many blast shelters does an airfield need because I've found another 3 of them making a running total of 8 so far (I'll post pics at the end of this).

A major thanks goes out to the|td4 without whose help I would never have found these, cheers mate your a star. I still need to identify the use of the two buildings so if anyone can help shed some light on them then please feel free.

Building 1 marked on the OS map as a pump house which is spot on but what was it pumping. There were bulk oil stores and bulk petrol installations for the airfield site and is far enough away from the airfield to be of little danger if it was to come under attack but it could always just be a water pumping station. The building certainly has a military feel about it and is well constructed if you have any ideas please let me know

DSCF6507.jpg

DSCF6508.jpg

DSCF6509.jpg

DSCF6510.jpg

DSCF6513.jpg

DSCF6515.jpg

DSCF6516.jpg

DSCF6522.jpg

DSCF6524.jpg

DSCF6523.jpg

inside the room at the back

DSCF6518.jpg

DSCF6521.jpg

roof detail

DSCF6525.jpg

Moving on I came across a couple of Stanton shelters

Shelter 1

DSCF6526.jpg

DSCF6527.jpg

DSCF6529.jpg

DSCF6531.jpg

DSCF6533.jpg

DSCF6535.jpg

DSCF6536.jpg

Shelter 2 has been mostly dismantled

DSCF6543.jpg

DSCF6542.jpg

DSCF6539.jpg

DSCF6540.jpg

DSCF6541.jpg

DSCF6538.jpg

Then we have this building which I have no idea what it's purpose was (answers on a postcard lol). I have a feeling that it was classified as a temporary brick (TB) building as it's walls are only single brick thick

DSCF6546.jpg

DSCF6547.jpg

DSCF6548.jpg

DSCF6573.jpg

I won't post too many internals

DSCF6549.jpg

DSCF6554.jpg

DSCF6555.jpg

DSCF6556.jpg

DSCF6557.jpg

DSCF6566.jpg

DSCF6564.jpg

DSCF6572.jpg

DSCF6562.jpg

oh nearly forgot the other 3 blast shelters from the north end of the airfield taxiway

Number 6

DSCF6576.jpg

DSCF6578.jpg

DSCF6579.jpg

Number 7

DSCF6580.jpg

DSCF6581.jpg

DSCF6582.jpg

Number 8

DSCF6584.jpg

DSCF6585.jpg

DSCF6586.jpg

Base of a picket post with blast shelter 6 in the background

DSCF6574.jpg

DSCF6575.jpg

Thanks for making it to the end without falling asleep. I will be going back soon to do the next few buildings and try and find some of the others that I know still exist. If any one can help me identify these buildings it would be gratefully appreciated

Cheers for looking

Jon

Re pump house, probably water if it didn't smell? Great pictures but has made me feel cold looking at them....like the way the big trees are growing out of the blast shelters. Thanks mate

Re pump house, probably water if it didn't smell? Great pictures but has made me feel cold looking at them....like the way the big trees are growing out of the blast shelters. Thanks mate

cheers mate it was bloody cold and snowing. The pump house didn't smell of anything realy so I'm guessing it was for water. Trees have totally taken over the North end of the airfield don't know if this was done on purpose or if the trees have just spawned from the nearby woods

Fair bit of brickwork there Jon :) Keep up the good work mate

cheers rich there are still a few buildings left to find and a few that I know the location of, strange thing is there are (so far) no intact pillboxes guarding the airfield I think they must have thought the blast shelters would double up as defensive positions

Ah excellent pics mate gives me shivers looking at them as it's all stuff I've been to many times but it's all from someone else's perspective!

More please! :)

cheers mate it was bloody cold and snowing. The pump house didn't smell of anything realy so I'm guessing it was for water. Trees have totally taken over the North end of the airfield don't know if this was done on purpose or if the trees have just spawned from the nearby woods

cheers rich there are still a few buildings left to find and a few that I know the location of, strange thing is there are (so far) no intact pillboxes guarding the airfield I think they must have thought the blast shelters would double up as defensive positions

Good shots mate,

There's a standby set house in the same woods (Maintenance Site I think it is) as that fire pool you took - it's right at the back right next to the housing on the other side of the fence.

Might be worth adding :)

Mick

Latest posts

Back