2013 - How was it for you?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
So another year drawing to a close. How was it for you?

What were your exploring highs? and lows? What was the weirdest bit? What do you hope for next year?

2013 has been yet another mad year for me.

One of my new years resolutions was to get out and meet as many new explorers I could from all over the world.

I feel I certainly managed it! Here are some of the new faces I met this year!

January
I went to meet Ramsgatonian down in Kent, and got the year off to a bang with a high risk borrowing of a 747!
IMG_3177.jpg
UrbanX and Ramsgatonian on board a 747

February
I met up with Journalism student Samuel Thompson: I don't normally accept such offers from the journalist, but being a thoroughly nice chap, and not being scared to throw himself into it - plus he was awfully flattering (see below) and flattery gets you everywhere.

We spent a day exploring various mansions. I was pleased to hear a few months later that he received a First for this assignment.
Screenshot_zpsf701b289.jpg
A still from Samuels assignment

March
March took me to Europe, on the "Belgium Waffle Tour" Meeting Osfa from the Netherlands. We ploughed through snow and ice (literally) to explore sites like Eylenbosh brewery, Hof Van B, Maison Trees, Grande Moulin De Paris, Home Sweet Home, St. Hilarius Monestary, Farmhouse Tapioca, L'Ecole Laberinth, and Villa Hector.
HilariusThumb_zps2337c442.jpg
St. Hilarius

P3230181-Copy_zpsf23b56b2.jpg
UrbanX at Eylenbosch in the snow
IMG_3846_zpsf1f66f30.jpg
Meeting European explorers at Ecole Laberinthe

May
May took me across to Berlin to meet up with Nobody, to conquer the 1936 Nazi olympic village, and scale Kaserne E (Jag barracks) Returning to the UK I met a new mix of UK explorers to tackle the mighty Battersea Power Station.
IMG_5144_zps9771f23e.jpg
Nobody and UrbanX at Kaserne E

IMG_5511_zps1b39c70c.jpg
Battersea Power Station

June
I went on a more 'traditional' exploring trip (i.e. not urban) to the Arctic Circle, somewhere I've always wanted to go. The sun never set in the 2 weeks I was there, constant daylight! Which actually helped, as one of my main aspirations was to cross the second largest Ice glacier in the world in a Toyota Aygo!
IMG_2601-Censored_zpsd703db2f.jpg
UrbanX in The Arctic rocking a UE Mag T-Shirt

July
I was drawn back to Europe to meet with our overseas brethren, on what we termed the "Be Brave tour" The name lived up to it's reputation, and we somehow managed to hit 23 sites in one weekend, with varying levels of success. The highs of Chateau Champagne, and Villa Walfahrt, and Sanatorium Diablo, against the lows of being busted three times, including by Belgiums finest armed unit. We still emerged with 13 epic explores under our belt!
IMG_7993_zps5049693e.jpg

PoliceStill_zpsa3b7dd8e.jpg
Chapelle Anciens with Belgiums finest armed response unit

August
I took myself off to the other side of the world, literally, to meet with Azyure, head of the Singapore exploring movement. It was fantastic to spend an evening with him showing me some of the hidden history behind Singapore. Here we are at the building of the Singapore F1 track.
IMG_2837-Web_zpsc27cac09.jpg
Azyure & UrbanX inside the F1 track

September
I took myself off to Gloucester to meet up with explorer Senbell, we explored the old docks, Hill House, and Windrush Hotel. I also soloed Harwich Fort after picking up a new GoPro Camera.
IMG_9567-Copy-Copy_zpse555c34a.jpg
Windrush Hotel

October
Guess what... Europe again! This time with a different mix of UK explorers, on the "Biscuit Tin Tour". We must be getting better, because we didn't get caught once. We travelled an epic 1,750Km to revisit Chateau Lumiere by moonlight, and the immaculate Sanatorium de Coffeur . We also managed to cross off Piscine Solvay (where we got busted in July) among many others.
IMG_0858_zps16a0ebde.jpg
Sanatorium Coffeiur

Back in the UK, I visited Mr Toads Courthouse, and also met with new-to-the-UK explorer Nikokas to explore some local ruinous churches, as well as revisiting Harwich forts.
IMG_0194_zps4a4a1198.jpg
Mr Toads Courthouse

IMG_0946-2_zps56e3646a.jpg
Harwich (Priority7, UrbanX, & Nikokas)

December
Around 30 of us descend on Severalls, all dressed as Santa! Was a wicked day, and an excellent way to round off a year. Seeing strangers introducing themselves to each other, no politics, no ego. Was great to see a few old faces, and meet many new ones.

IMG_1074_zps755b21b2.jpg

Untitled-2_zpsb4c86873.jpg

I can't really say what my 'Best explore' or 'Highlight was, everything above was a highlight! Besides how can you compare the intimacy of a cottage filled with personal effects to Battersea Power Station! So here's the "low lights"!

Low-light of the year: Seeing Osfa go through a floor, oh and having to share a bed with Priority 7.

Best Bust of the year: Sticking my head out a manhole to find three mates and a security guard all laughing their heads off (Piscine Solvay)

Worst Bust of the year: Armed Police @ Chappel Anciens

All in all I have been lucky enough to visit 10 countries across three continents, and successfully explore forty plus great sites, meeting some truly inspirational people along the way! Here's to many more in 2014!

January:
Kicked off the year with a jaunt in Box on New Year's Day, shortly followed by a climb up the Forth Rail Bridge and a trip down the Westbourne in just the first week. The Forth and Westbourne would yield photos that would later go on to win me two major photographic competitions. Also spent two days in Belgium where the temperature never went above -5°C, we somehow managed 12 sites despite the snow.

DSC_4119.jpg

February:
Didn't do much, had a documentary made about a couple of us. Very low key, mind. Never released.

March:
Won my first photographic competition with one of my photos from January.

ipo351nvbzm3651mqixvt.jpg

April:
Nowt. Unless you count a trip to Morocco where we were meant to be having a holiday, but got itchy feet and headed to the mountains. Also an ancient derp palace filled with fire.

DSC_7042.jpg

May:
Two weeks in Italy. About 35 sites in total. More manicomios, industrial wastelands and remote orphanges than you can shake a stick at. Also gasmeters and an abandoned island...

DSC_9615960px.jpg

June:
Nowt. (Height of wedding season.)

July:
Did "Covert Cottage" on the first day of the month. Did nothing the rest of the month.

August:
Another few days in Belgium. Wedding season still stopping me doing much.

DSC_5752.jpg

September:
Brixton drainz. Innit. Later got my first cover shot with one of the photos.

covershot-small.jpg

October:
Battersea for the first time since 2010. Despite seeing both rooftops, both control rooms, the usual boilerhouse and turbine halls, the chimneys and some other little bits there's still so much more I want to see.

DSC_1770.jpg

November:
Won a huge photographic competition with one of my photos from January. Bonus!

DSC_3978.jpg

December:
Off on a jolly tomorrow. I won't see much daylight. All day.

Loving those shots Cogito, what a year!
Think my fave is still the bridge shot from Jan, awesome stuff! :)

That was all kinds of cold. Top of a bridge like that in Scotland in January. Says it all!

Can't believe we got naked up there.

Bunch of bigheads, If it wasn't for the enjoyment I get from your posts you might have ruined my Christmas, Have a good one and Thanks.

To say I've had a year of ups and downs is an understatement. Although I did more explores (54) than I managed in 2012 (41) it didn't feel like that as my week-long trip to Belgium in March contained nearly half the total for the whole year!

I ended up doing twice as many sites on foreign soil than on home turf which was a little odd but personal issues this year didn't help that. I feel so grateful for Bonesout taking me under his wing enabling me to go on my previous two European jaunts.

January - Nowt.

February - A long overdue trip to Lincolnshire to see 'that' staircase and climb a ridiculous amount of fences. Also paid a visit to the JCB graveyard, bumped into the owners who were a bit miffed but we managed to sweet talk our way into wandering around unaccompanied. Good day.

March - My week-long Belgian adventure which began in dense fog, travelled through heavy rain and had the latter half dominated by massive snowfalls, despite the weather we saw 25 locations. Included the coldest pair of explores I have ever done, when the temperature with the wind chill equalled around -15 degrees, the scariest experience of my life and a whole load of laughs and japery. A couple of the personal highlights shown below.

April - By far the busiest month on home turf for me with the highlights being finally getting a chance to re-shoot Upper Heyford Hospital nearly 4 year after my first visit, and a final goodbye to GT Manor which is now having extensive rescue work done on the place to stop it collapsing. Also popped into Sandwell College after one of a few appalling days of fail this year.

May, June - Nowt.

July - Kicked off July in the oppressive heatwave with some local sites including breaking new ground with the Assembly Facility in Buckinghamshire.

And ended July with another trip to Europe, and the first with Bonesout, Luke and co. They were all revisits for me but I think the group had fun and the weather was a damn sight better than it was in March, blazing sunshine all the way! They hit 8 sites over 2 days but I only took part in 6 owing to me needing some beauty sleep. Making tea on a camping stove at 3.30am in a dodgy backstreet in Lille and then getting shown out of Grand Moulins de Paris by 8 French Policemen and one total Police babe just before 6am was entertaining, the police couldn't have been nicer once they realised we only had camera gear on us.

August - Only one trip in August but a good one, Willington was a place I had needed in my life for ages, it was just a damn shame we chose to go on a day when it was raining quite bad. Entertained ourselves with a couple of derps on the way home too so not a bad day at all. I'll be back at Willington when the sun's out methinks...

September - Nowt.

October - One mini explore was all to report on in October.

November - I was back with a bang after basically three months off, doing this Brickworks in the south of England which is by far one of my favourite explores I've ever done. A proper industrial epic and a great relaxed wander if you manage to blank out the sound of 50 million seagulls on the roof.

IMG_6212 by mookie427, on Flickr

On the way home we popped into West Park, it was the first time I'd set foot on the grounds since the beginning of October 2009 so was quite shocking seeing how it stands today.

December - I finished off the year with another mad two-day dash to Belgium with Bonesout and co, and whilst it wasn't the most fruitful trip ever with a lot of fails we still had a good time and managed 7 successful locations over less than two full days - including Chateau Congo which I'd wanted to see for absolutely ages.

Highlight of the year - Hard to say really, but I think the Brickworks I visited in November or the Mechanics Institiute in Belgium were my single favourite explores of the year although the week-long trip in March as a whole stands out as a highlight just because of what it was.

Lowlight of the year - Being busted within a minute of stepping into Villa Heil in December.

Worst bust - Having an encounter with the psychotic farmer who lives next to Maison Boon and his wife, he cornered me with a large wooden pole and his wife decided to slash our car tyres. I've never looked at isolated farmhouses with the same amount of enthusiasm since.

Roll on 2014, where I've got big big plans!

What a great thread. I've been a bit tied up with an addition to my family this year so I cant contribute very much. But I'm really pleased I got to be involved with the Santas at Sevs in Dec :)

...Although saying that, I've just had a count back through my folders dated 2013 and am very surprised to see I've racked up 40 explores!!! I really didn't think I'd done many at all in 2013!

Eventful.

January.

IMG_1520_zpsa124df39.jpg

February and the first of three European trips.

IMG_4591_zpsdbe7823f.jpg
IMG_4537_zps133fadc7.jpg

IMG_4552_zpsb32596b2.jpg

IMG_4489_zps71aa73dd.jpg

IMG_4813_zpsda4c0de6.jpg

IMG_4980_zps15ac9523.jpg

Then a hiatus until May whilst I waited for my feet to thaw thus beginning the summer of mills.

JSP_4575_zpsc93fe732.jpg

JSP_4591_zps824fae41.jpg

JSP_4543_zps78e38074.jpg

June

11498949923_12c6927945_b.jpg

10058593493_3c885b28ec_b.jpg

10039582103_e58d625e9d_b.jpg

IDA-1_zpsa68902d4.jpg

July - France.

JSP_9391_zpse750207d.jpg

JSP_9632_zpsb782a503.jpg

JSP_9708_zps69c4be56.jpg

JSP_9761_zps64322431.jpg

JSP_9800_zps9125f56c.jpg

JSP_9832_zps0c0925de.jpg

JSP_9992_zps748429d0.jpg

September Wales.

2013-09-02_0018_zpse1d9b92e.jpg

2013-09-02_0019_zpsba960b02.jpg

October England.

2013-10-27_0003_zps177a68bc.jpg

2013-10-27_0004_zpsc53deb9e.jpg

Early November Belgium / France / Germany

2013-11-13_0002_zpsfbe72d81.jpg

2013-11-13_0009_zps37ea2243.jpg

2013-11-13_0016_zps6b461f92.jpg

2013-11-13_0012_zps0960a9e1.jpg

Including this year's crowning glory.

2013-11-13_0027_zps4e288f5a.jpg

2013-11-17_0012_zpsfa9f1ff0.jpg

2013-11-17_0005_zps605d67d2.jpg

2013-11-17_0006_zps438c4de1.jpg

And a cooling tower with a little shed inside.

2013-11-13_0037_zps5f2d3186.jpg

Worst bust - Having an encounter with the psychotic farmer who lives next to Maison Boon and his wife, he cornered me with a large wooden pole and his wife decided to slash our car tyres.

Can they do that and get away with it?
Cant do that here, we daren't even defend ourselves/our property.

Wow, love the St. Pancras shot (cant work out where it was from!) and the Zone Braams too!
Properly amazing photos sir! :)

Can they do that and get away with it?
Cant do that here, we daren't even defend ourselves/our property.

When you're out in the middle of nowhere in Belgium it is lawless much like the Wild West. Even the police said to watch out for stuff like that out in the sticks.

Just looking back at my 2013 photos has made me realise what a BRILLIANT year it's been!! Pretty much every other weekend we (me n NK) have been off somewhere for a mooch, the highlight being 2 mental trips to Belgium...
Not sure exactly when some of these shots were taken, so I'll just chuck some of my faves up! ENJOY!!

THE COFFIN SHOP

SEAMSTRESS COTTAGE

PYESTOCK (RIP)

CROOKHAM

BULL MANOR

ST JOSEPHS

LANCASTER MOOR

GT MANOR

GEORGE BARNSLEYS

SERENITY

THE SEMINARY

LADY LUCK

CHATEAU DE CHAPELLE

MONT G

MAISON MORPHINE

VILLA HEIL

VILLA DAS WAHLFART

If 2014 Is HALF as good as 2013 then it's gonna be a BOSTER!!!! :)

Not been a Stella year for me, sporadic explores separated by long spells of inactivity and no real highlights spring to mind,lack of opportunity and lack of regular exploring buddies also contributed. got plenty being planned now for 2014 so here is hoping to a good year

Back