Air Raid Shelter No.2, Devonport Park, Plymouth

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badoosh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
By now many have you have seen the recent posts on the Public & Naval Personnel Air Raid Shelter uncovered in Devonport Park, Plymouth. The story of that has a sad ending with 80% of it now demolished/filled in.

This is another story of a shelter which lies in close proximity, still buried, & as yet unearthed by workmen on the site. After more than 60 years underground & unseen by human eye, we will leave the visit of this shelter to your imagination & let the pictures do the talking. Badoosh & theterrorwheel.

DevonportParkBuriedARS234.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS214.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS215.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS221.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS227.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS231.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS202.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS010.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS093.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS029.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS104.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS096.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS142.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS155.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS163.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS176.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS182.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS074.jpg

DevonportParkBuriedARS078.jpg

UPDATE.....

The video of the full shelter can be seen here;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4N19NWCMi4&feature=channel_page[/ame]

Together with further images here;

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/

Thanks to Steve Johnson (Cyberheritage), for hosting these.

The inspiration for the video came from Plymouth locals who shared with us, memories of their childhood experiences during the Plymouth Blitz, expressing disappointment on the fate of the other shelter & hope that something can be done to preserve any remaining Plymouth shelters.

Last edited:
Shelter.

Interesting place, interesting post.

Last edited:
How do we know this is the 2ndf shelter and not just different angle pics from the other one?

Just messing with you dude :)
nice one for getting but i need to know how.
We was looking at it the other day. well only the exposed bit lol

Good job people. Some great shoots you got going on there. PCC better not get hold of this one !

Underworld

Hopefully they will have used up their Recreations budget, trying to sort the "shelter problem", which they clearly didn't research into when they decided on the project.

Splendid! I'm glad you guys got in, thanks for sharing pictures. Will you be reviewing the queuing system for shelter visits? Perhaps advance bookings are a good idea?! :)

Does this one look safe for now? I saw what they did to the other one - 'preserve for possible later restoration' my ASS!!

I love the grafitti. Funny how sixty year old grafitti is interesting - will we feel that same about 2009 grafitti in 60 years time?!

Nice work Badoosh and TerrorWheel!

Thanks for all your comments so far. The future of this one is uncertain, it was stated to the press by officials that it would be opened at some point, but who knows. The only way to try & save it is with public support.

This shelter is half the size of the other, with what would have been one main entrance when in use, & two escape hatches in W & E sections. A detailed map is forthcoming as is a video, which will be posted here soon.

all i can say is i got far to excited once in, and i ran around like a headless chicken, the only thing with that is i didnt really get any good pics, badooshs pics made up for it though ,also the siren we heard just before leaving the shelter was enough to strike fear into anyone inside an air raid shelter! here is a few that were just about useful.

DSCF4400.jpg

DSCF4411.jpg

DSCF4414.jpg

DSCF4387.jpg

DSCF4402.jpg

DSCF4419.jpg

DSCF4435.jpg

DSCF4437.jpg

DSCF4439.jpg

DSCF4451.jpg

DSCF4447.jpg

DSCF4437-1.jpg

DSCF4416.jpg

Last edited:
First one about a foot under the surface maybe 2 foot at most. This can be seen on Badoosh's thread about the shelter, one of the pics quite far down the page shows the tops of the tunnels exposed with an excavator in the background.

The above thread has been edited to include a full video tour inside, along with further images viewable on Steve Johnson's Cyberheritage site. It wasn't easy to get this documented, but detemination paid off & not without a huge thanks to the people who have never been on any Urbex forums for their support & help. :)

a little research shows no air raid on may 29th 1944, not on plymouth at least, however the last raid on torquay was may 29th 1944.

might well of been the last time the shelter was ever used....just as thousands were waiting to comence D-Day

nice work guys.what was the siren for you heard.I think i would have messed me keks if id been in there when that went off!!!:unsure:

nice work guys some nice shots too, kernow and i were only discussing this one on fri but you got in first ,damn too slow ! lol ,good work ,well done.:)

Latest posts

Back