Air Raid shelter

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ops
for some reason the picture I added didnt come through, let try again.

3412108214_d071ca5db7_z.jpg

This is the RAF Edge Hill stanton.

Cheers Newage

Hi

Since these are Stanton airraid shelters which are normaly found on WW2 airfields, the qustions is which Airfield?

Cheers Newage

My thinking also. A search of the vicinity might yield a few clues. Sometimes eroded pathways are hidden and a slight dip in the lay of the land could indicate this. It is also heavily exposed to the elements and would have had protecting banking up its sides.

We had several of these near to Tibenham airfield in Norfolk but they all got demolished in the 1980's which I thought was sad as we loved playing in them as kids. Our ones were partially buried as others have suggested and they had the ladder tower at one end, plus a brick entrance the other end, so that you approached into the brick entrance at 90 degrees to the shelter, then turned and entered the shelter. I always thought the brick entrance looked a bit like going into an old public loo. And sometimes thats exactly how the shelters smelled like inside!

My thinking also. A search of the vicinity might yield a few clues. Sometimes eroded pathways are hidden and a slight dip in the lay of the land could indicate this. It is also heavily exposed to the elements and would have had protecting banking up its sides.

RAF Grimsby

Question for you Rucg. My photos in earlier posts are missing. Any ideas on why this could happen.

Latest posts

Back