Anonymous Brickworks - May '12

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Archivist

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted anything new so I thought I'd share this. No name and no location, so please don't ask: I have my reasons.

History

Anonymous Brickworks was founded in 1921 and produced both handmade and mass-produced bricks and tiles.

I used to fish the works reservoir pond in the 1990s and visited the works several times as a result. I can remember the old machinery, some of which dated back to the 1930s still working away and the long, tunnel-like Hoffmann kilns empty but still warm between firings. At this time, bricks and tiles were still being made by hand in part of the works and it was a friendly, if noisy place employing about 50-60 people.

Around 2000-1 the brickworks was bought out by a larger company who demolished most of the old buildings and built a large automated, computer-controlled plant there which became the new focus of production. Although the kilns and dryers were demolished, the old factory inexplicably survived, sandwiched between two newer buildings and became a dumping ground for unwanted materials from the new works and unsold pallets of bricks.

When the recession hit 4 years ago the resulting decline in the construction industry forced the works to close with the loss of around 40 jobs. The works has since re-opened, but now employs only a handful of workers and has a very limited output.

Exploration

I approached the works through dense woods and valleys, listening for signs of life as I got closer. It was a bank holiday, but I knew that there would most likely be people on site. I skirted the huge claypit before diving back into the woods then re-emerging in the old clay stockyard. The coast was clear so I made a dash for the factory and then I was in. To me, having known the place when it was a deafening hive of industry the stillness seemed somehow unnatural. The distant strains of Haddaway's 'What is Love?' emanating from somewhere in the new factory did nothing to dispel the air of melancholy while the far-off beeping of a forklift and the drip-drop of water filtering through the broken asbestos roofing added a strange, almost ghostly air to the place.

After about 40 minutes, I had seen all I wanted to see and made my exit unseen.

1-1.jpg

Old Factory

2-1.jpg

Bedeschi clay crusher and conveyor from claypit

3.jpg

Plenty of cool switchgear around

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last remaining production line

8.jpg

Based in Derby, Bennett and Sayer were once the UK's largest manufacturer of brickmaking plant.

6.jpg

Some kind of extruder, I think

9.jpg

The electricity was still on but this clock had long ago ground to a halt.

12.jpg

Huge water tanks above the factory floor. The ladder was a bit shaky, as was the floor, so I didn't venture far

14.jpg

Charging stations for electric forklifts

16.jpg

H&S Noticeboard

17.jpg

Lots of lightbulbs

19.jpg

Washroom

21.jpg

Forklift repair shop

23.jpg

Drawers

24.jpg

Looking down the factory. The dryers on the left have all been demolished but their doors still remain.

Thanks for reading,

Arch.

thanks for sharing.
Just hope the eurocraps dont see the 100watt lamps (lightbulb) they would close the place down....... damm they found them.
good pic's.
Thanks.

Very nice from your picture i take it they also did concrete black manufacture as well ?. Its a shocker i have done a number of these places and well the kilns where one of the last of their kind up here,now completely gone. Thing that i keep thinking we have shot ourselves in the foot as now if and when the housing market picks up or recovery commences we will now have to import bricks to build bloody new houses as we have no manufacturing base of our own :exclaim::neutral:

nice mate :)

Nope, not concrete blocks, those blocks are actually made out of clay, sort of like a cross between a brick and a tile.
The decline of the brick industry is a real sad loss - of the 8 brickworks that were working in my area in 2005, only 4 are still operational and most of those are on reduced output. A lot of people I know have lost jobs as a result.

Nope, not concrete blocks, those blocks are actually made out of clay, sort of like a cross between a brick and a tile.
The decline of the brick industry is a real sad loss - of the 8 brickworks that were working in my area in 2005, only 4 are still operational and most of those are on reduced output. A lot of people I know have lost jobs as a result.

Yeh round my way we had a lot of brick works as well as shale related industry Shale manufacture left a long time ago and the last in the Scottish brick makers have been falling like Domino's sad as hell really:( not just the human cost involved with lost jobs but the industry we have lost to foreign markets. Makes you wonder why we don't look after our industries like the French and Germans who lets face it Protect them regardless where as we are about the only ones playing by the EU rules in this country

These i found in a old local boundary wall from the early 1900's

no a brick fanatic but found them interesting for someone who was doing a article on them

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back