Any ideas?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skittles

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Not done much exploring recently so took on a huge project recently

Trouble is I have no idea what it used to be used for, anyone any thought?

0014.jpg

0015.jpg

0016.jpg

0017.jpg

0018.jpg

0019.jpg

0020.jpg

I am exhausted now!

Police patrol box? It appears that some form of heating had been installed, and I have seen this in old tram shelters and shelters used by cab drivers. The actual location would give a clue, as the building will be marked on the large scale maps of the area. If the building is old, its use may even be stated on the early maps.

OK location is here

map.png

Above the building is like a hill where a big house used to stand

grand.jpg

If anyone knows any history of the house pleae let me know

I know it used to be the biggest hotel in wales, but about 30 years ago when I stayed their as a child it was split up for self catering apartment. It was a lovely building in bad disrepair

maggb_SAMGIS01644574853800.gif

With this small building being opposite a railway station could it have been a small shop or kiosk for selling newspapers cigarettes etc.

Last edited:
Any ideas.

E-mailed local history people, answer should be with us soon.

Is the railway station built in a similar style? Could be something to do with the railway.

We've got a smallish building (complete with fireplace) between our station and the engine shed. At ours they used to keep oil the tail lamps and other bits and pieces in there. Maybe that's what this one is for. It's roughly the same distance from the station as ours is. Our's isn't quite so pretty tho :lol:

:) Sal

Is the railway station built in a similar style? Could be something to do with the railway.

:) Sal

The comment on architectural style is a very valid and useful pointer. Where the origin/use of public/utility buildings are concerned or questioned, looking at the style of other buildings in the area can sometimes indicate the original owners - thus the original use.

In the case of this building, I would think that it has something to do with the hotel. The hotel opened many years ago ( I do not know if the building was constructed as the hotel, or it was a conversion from a large house), but at the time of its opening people relied a lot more on public transport/taxis. Hence this could be a shelter for the hotel clients, waiting for some form of transport.

"In 1861 Dr Norton built his Penmaenmawr Hotel overlooking the beach. A designer built spa hotel, it was provided with salt water bathing facilities both hot and cold. The water was driven up from a steam driven pump on the high water line. In keeping with enthusiastic expansion of the time the name of the hotel was soon afterward changed to The Grand Hotel."

Latest posts

Back