Anyone been thro the Alcan/ ADH ltd site at Lillyhall Ind Est, Distington, West Cumbria, its on urbex ... but here?

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh dear, I'm over there soon and am just getting to know West Cumbria properly, as distinct from the Lake District; a fascinating and impressive industrial heritage. Actually, on the urbex material (this sounds unbelievable) among all the detritus and utter junk was a PYE Unican Atomic Mass Spectrophotometer, PYE archive has good material on it, it looked fabulous! Wish it was mine.

Pity it's been demolished, it was a fascinating place. I visited in 2017, and took some photos of the spectrophotometer and another Unicam machine which I assumed did something similar.

pye.jpg

unicam-2.jpg

oh dear, I'm over there soon and am just getting to know West Cumbria properly, as distinct from the Lake District; a fascinating and impressive industrial heritage. Actually, on the urbex material (this sounds unbelievable) among all the detritus and utter junk was a PYE Unican Atomic Mass Spectrophotometer, PYE archive has good material on it, it looked fabulous! Wish it was mine.
Having only just discovered Cumbria in the last couple of years, previously being a Derbyshire Peak District fan, I enjoyed reading the articles by Eric Apperley on some of the varied industries of Cumbria. Economic and Industrial History | Cumbria County History Trust

Talking of Lillyhall, has anyone been into the old Leyland Bus factory? I know a lot of it is now warehousing, but I think the old canteen and offices are empty

Pity it's been demolished, it was a fascinating place. I visited in 2017, and took some photos of the spectrophotometer and another Unicam machine which I assumed did something similar.

pye.jpg

unicam-2.jpg
When I was prospecting for kimberite in Lesotho in the early 1970s, the project's chemist had a spectrophotometer to analyse the stream sediment samples we collected in the mountains.

Way above my head but that top pic looks fabulous the PYE Unicam (exc instructional vid available on the PYE history site) .... I was over in Cumbria last Jan ... wish I'd known!

Talking of Lillyhall, has anyone been into the old Leyland Bus factory? I know a lot of it is now warehousing, but I think the old canteen and offices are empty
It's owned by Eddie Stobart, IIRC, you should take a look and let us know if there's anything worth seeing. :)

Back