Atomic Weapons Research Establishment - Oct - 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, thanks for the comments.

The video was done using a GoPro camera fixed onto the chest harness, so all I had to do was press record and leave it be, it doesn't get in the way at all. Excellent for exploring!

Fantastic photos. The place has a bit of history. I think a lot of early radar research was done there.

That last shot maybe a base for a radar dish. The rim is for an outer wheel. I've seen something similar on Titterstone Clee where there is a radar station.

Just a guess

I have since learned the following about the last image...

Originally Quoted from Digital Nomad on TalkUrbex.com:

The final pic is actually the base of the H50 radio antenna...built approx 1960 with a possible use in the bomb ballistic tests or for very early radio bomb guidance tests

I have actually found an excellent English Heritage site survey, included is this picture of film stills from experiments carried out at AWRE Foulness, Essex, to prove the design
for the Orford Ness Vibration Test Buildings...

6258607293_20f0dc941e_o.jpg

http://services.english-heritage.org.uk/ResearchReportsPdfs/010_2009WEB.pdf

Last edited:
That place is amazing that's one place Iam plannig to go how did you go about going on There as who did u contact to Ask or don't I ask that as Iam new on here

Ask away, you need to contact Orford Ness National Trust, although you have missed the boat (literally) this year. You may need to book it now for next year as they only allow a handful of photographers on each year.

Wow, what an incredible place, amazing shots to, #19 makes me think of some sort of post apocalyptic wasteland. Is very sad about the lighthouse.

Adding this to my wishlist of places to visit, just hope I get the chance.

Brilliant report, I was on a job just up the road from it, and am now disapointed I didn't have more time in which to pay it a visit!
Definetly going to have to pay it a visit now!

Pity about the lighthouse though!

Back