Auschwitz Concentration Camp

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont want to sound like a twat,but when i went there was signs up asking people not to take photos INSIDE as a mark of respect i.e inside the crematorium/gas chamber and the room with the Zyclon B cannisters are.

Hi, You,r right there are, if you read my post you will understand why I took pictures, apart from the fact I am Jewish, so it was a personal thing.

Andy

To be honest mate I could not think of a better way of honouring their memory than by taking photos to remind people of what happened. To me the most chilling photo is the scaffold. Imagine having to stand in front of that and watch people being hung (strangled slowly by the look of things) it gives a feeling of helplessness just looking at it. I can't think of how the victim felt :cry:

Hi, the scaffold was erected to execute Rudolf Hoss, the camp commandant, it was erected half way between his house and the gas chambers, on the route he used to walk.

Four days before he was hanged, Höss sent a message to the state prosecutor, including these comments:

“ My conscience compels me to make the following declaration. In the solitude of my prison cell I have come to the bitter recognition that I have sinned gravely against humanity. As Commandant of Auschwitz I was responsible for carrying out part of the cruel plans of the 'Third Reich' for human destruction. In so doing I have inflicted terrible wounds on humanity. I caused unspeakable suffering for the Polish people in particular. I am to pay for this with my life. May the Lord God forgive one day what I have done.”

Andy

You never said? even so that is what it depicts to me but proably a fitting place for Rudolf Hoss to die where he could reflect on what he did

You never said? even so that is what it depicts to me but proably a fitting place for Rudolf Hoss to die where he could reflect on what he did

HI, yes I should have said, sorry to have not made that clear.

Andy

Very moving photos. It really is a place of hell on earth and I think its very important that its memories stay alive so the world never has to witness that kind of slaughter again.
5 million homosexuals, prostitutes, the mentally and phyically handicapped, political oponents and other races perished in those cmaps as well as 6 million Jews. I can't even imagine it.

My mum was born in 1946 and grew up in post-war London, she used to work with a German woman who no one else wanted to speak to because she was German. My mum gave her a lift home once and she invited her into her flat. On the mantle piece she had photos of her family and she pulled up her sleeve to show my mum the number tattoed there. She had been in Auschwitz and her family had all died in there. The only reason she was kept alive was because she was multi-lingual. And no one wanted to know her simply because of her nationality.

HI, You must be very proud, it,s a strange thing, people who have been through and survived such things, always know, what life is really worth, it,s a lesson to us all, and hopefully we can learn by example.

Andy
thank's andy yeah very proud!i remember as a kid he'd be chatting away & then suddenly he go into polish without realising lol

In 1979 I visited Belsen when I was a serving soldier in the 1st Battalion The Staffordshire Regiment, we were on exercise in Germany at the time and we were all coached over to what remained of the camp to see what was left there. My most distinct memory of Belsen was the lack of life there, no birds, no noise, it was a very eerie experience. Walking about around the mounds there which had small plaques telling of the obscene numbers of people buried in mass graves. It was so hard to take in, I remember every member of my company walking about not speaking, completely subdued and in shock at what they were seeing. Not the best experience I have ever had but one I am never going to forget. :(

Thanks for posting, I actually started crying when i saw these photos... I've visited Aushwitz a couple of years ago and it was a unforgetable experience. I am Polish and 2 of my grandparents died there, i know them only from stories but its still an important part of my heritage that I hope to will never be forgoten.

Thank you for putting the photos up and to who have put their bit up of the past coniction to it,very sad but needid to be documentid. So thanks

Back