Beans Foundry

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As i told diluted at our meet, I'm well up for a visit here. Just depends on the date. Mega excited about this one. Isn't the factory building next door vacant now too?

Beans Foundry.

Hi dennis, its great to hear from people who worked at the places we now visit and document it really helps us get a feel for what a place was like while it was up and running. What did you do while you were there?

I've a few technical questions about beans that you might be able to help with:

Was beans casting Iron or steel?
Was beans solely melting down scrap?
What was added in the furnace? Coke? Iron ore?

Can you tell us anything about the day to day running of beans? How many worked there? the hours? or even if pay was good! we would also be interested in any stories you might have!

Cheers in advance

RM

Almost certainly coke cupola furnaces, probably close grained cast iron products.
There used to be piles of engine blocks under the magnet crane in the yard, not sure if these were scrap product for re-work or bought in scrap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupola_furnace

maintenance

I worked there for years, used to buy in iron stampings scrap to melt down, all engine block that were scrapped off by our inspectors were taken straight back round to be re-used.At one time up to 500 people worked there. 3 shift rota and one of the cleanest foundries around. However, that doesnt mean clean!!!

Back