Ben Nevis Observatory, July 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedDave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Ben Nevis (see also Ben Nevis Facts) is the tallest mountain in the UK and Ireland. On the top of it there's a ruined meteorological observatory and hotel. The observatory was built in 1883 and permanently manned from then until 1904. (For a few years before this, Clement Wragge climbed the mountain every day in summer to take measurements.) Charles TR Wilson of cloud chamber fame conducted some experiments in the observatory. There was also the Temperance Hotel, which closed in 1916.

Access is easy but it does involve some climbing.

bennevis01.jpg

bennevis02.jpg

bennevis03.jpg

bennevis04.jpg

bennevis05.jpg

bennevis06.jpg

bennevis07.jpg

There's a small shelter at the top of this, but no room to stand in it. It's built on top of part of the observatory.
bennevis08.jpg

Last edited:
might not be a great deal left - but welldone for succesfully doing the UK's highest explore!! :mrgreen: Are you quite a keen hillwalker?

might not be a great deal left - but welldone for succesfully doing the UK's highest explore!! :mrgreen: Are you quite a keen hillwalker?

I don't do much hillwalking, or any mountaineering. I climbed Ben Nevis because it's the tallest, but still quite an easy climb (by the "tourist path"), and of course to photograph its ruins. I've also climbed much smaller hills, such as West and East Lomond.

Last time I saw that place, it was covered in several feet of snow. Only the top couple of layers of stones were visible.

Looks like hell being up there. Loving the dry stone walling. :)

Thats really neat! Great place for an observatory! Well done for braving the weather and getting the photos.

hey - good effort chaps

desipte several asscents - i have never taken a camera

but i have sheltered in that ruin

i refused to believe that any one would build an observatory up there till i read it in a book :)

the conditions you encountered are typical - lol

There must be loads of people climbing that peak every day. If each climber picked up a stone and put it back in place, the building would quite soon have its original wall height. A roof could then be stuck on it and you'd have some shelter.

Fabulous explore. There has gotta be an urbex song for this! :mrgreen:

I've tried twice now to copy "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" from Youtube but it won't work, gadammit! You get the idea though! :lol:

Back