Benefiekd Auto Breakers - Jan 22

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikinGlynn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
51810527091_95156dab0f_c.jpg

Heres another one that hasnt been reported but cant imagine it will be long before the goons find it.
I know this place well & have used this breakers for more than 25yr. It hasnt been abandoned for long, the owner died late last year & everything was subsequently auctioned off, unfortunately I missed the opportunity pre auction so expected empty shelves.

51809577272_472a5c1958_c.jpg

There was however all "the junk" left behind, but this place was a proper old school breakers so some of it is quite interesting.

How old school? well heres a whisky barrel still filled with his stock of car inner tubes!

51810639308_a5dd89198d_c.jpg

It appears since my last visit that they had moved into the latest century catering for not only leyland & ford but also "french"

51811263925_b8561f90e4_c.jpg

If u need a new set of lights or a wheel trim there is prob stil some here tbh

51809576807_6db11eedbc_c.jpg

51810641858_66d2211180_c.jpg

Even a few old lucas headlights

51809576662_b7692f5ae0_c.jpg

51810530431_5fc451fdf1_c.jpg

51809576087_f01b99254d_c.jpg

Or a pair of ancient spoked wheels for I dont know what!

51810640443_65b594a3ee_c.jpg

51811263555_22978356d7_c.jpg

51809575932_1eef6b0b22_c.jpg

51809575272_ca9a532f01_c.jpg

Im sure someone out there is looking for a workshop manual for their Morris Half Ton van too

51810527841_049e7698b3_c.jpg

51811261835_4021dec322_c.jpg

51809574192_cb0c99c504_c.jpg

51810638973_e2150956ee_c.jpg

51810637463_ca1c76f9ee_c.jpg

51810880004_044364e6be_c.jpg

51810638108_d3c978bcac_c.jpg

51810638633_8e5e3fcf59_c.jpg

51810527391_8b4d79fab0_c.jpg

A few unsold items still have lot numbers on

51810881219_f3b1519b55_c.jpg

51810879604_92ac35b23e_c.jpg

Good report.
I have spent so long in these places dodging dog shite lying in the rain prizing out a gearbox, a hub or suspension part from a precariously piled stack of scrap cars wondering how long before my car see the same fate and in some cases wondering what chain of events led to the car I'm working on being there. There was one at Hillsborough in Sheffield where the background fizzing from the high voltage cables overhead in the mist just completed the feeling of desolation.

Good report.
I have spent so long in these places dodging dog shite lying in the rain prizing out a gearbox, a hub or suspension part from a precariously piled stack of scrap cars wondering how long before my car see the same fate and in some cases wondering what chain of events led to the car I'm working on being there. There was one at Hillsborough in Sheffield where the background fizzing from the high voltage cables overhead in the mist just completed the feeling of desolation.
Ditto iv spent way too long doing the same but not for the last 10yr tbh.
I remember going in here with my dad 25ish year back & we actually found a dash panel for his 1934 Morris 8 on the guys shelf!

Ditto iv spent way too long doing the same but not for the last 10yr tbh.
I remember going in here with my dad 25ish year back & we actually found a dash panel for his 1934 Morris 8 on the guys shelf!
That was a hell of a lucky find even then. I thought I'd grown out of it too but I've got a replica E type and an old import Nissan which both seem to need bits you just can't get new these days when all the factors will work with is the reg number. To some extent derelict cars have a similar feel to derelict places for me.

That was a hell of a lucky find even then. I thought I'd grown out of it too but I've got a replica E type and an old import Nissan which both seem to need bits you just can't get new these days when all the factors will work with is the reg number. To some extent derelict cars have a similar feel to derelict places for me.
Me too I love car graveyards & have been to some absolute gems that seem to of stayed off the radar.
I have a minor with a 2l miriforri engine which is an ongoing project & my vw T4 that has been of the road 4 yr but I actually freed the brakes off & moved at weekend.
Im very old school customiser myself, even my T4 has about 30 different car parts on it, I used to just find stuff at scrappy & make it fit. I won Busfest best T4 2 years on trot way back, I guess it was the fact that it was all a bit different that people liked.
Unfortunately its just time & money stopping me getting em both sorted!

Ever since I was a child, I've got something from wandering around abandoned buildings and sites in general. As a boy in Devon, I recall a long disused sawmill and walking the routes of lifted tramways and railways. Later. in Aden, there were long abandoned windmill driven Archimedes screw seawater pumps at the salt flats. It's a mixture of the sights, the smells ansd thinking of the people who lived and worked in the places. I also think people leave something intangible of themselves behind wherever they have been.

Ever since I was a child, I've got something from wandering around abandoned buildings and sites in general. As a boy in Devon, I recall a long disused sawmill and walking the routes of lifted tramways and railways. Later. in Aden, there were long abandoned windmill driven Archimedes screw seawater pumps at the salt flats. It's a mixture of the sights, the smells ansd thinking of the people who lived and worked in the places. I also think people leave something intangible of themselves behind wherever they have been.
I couldn't have put it better, as I child I used to visit what is now the restored Abbeydale industrial hamlet then quite a mess. Also there were a load of abandoned allotments with sheds and greenhouses and an abandoned scrap yard near where Hutcliffewood Crematorium is now. All overgrown with no obvious access we kids wriggled under fences and hedges to a land time forgot. The smells of the old leather, old engine oil, dry dusty work benches perishing rubber all somehow got imprinted on my young brain. Those seawater pumps sound amazing.

I couldn't have put it better, as I child I used to visit what is now the restored Abbeydale industrial hamlet then quite a mess. Also there were a load of abandoned allotments with sheds and greenhouses and an abandoned scrap yard near where Hutcliffewood Crematorium is now. All overgrown with no obvious access we kids wriggled under fences and hedges to a land time forgot. The smells of the old leather, old engine oil, dry dusty work benches perishing rubber all somehow got imprinted on my young brain. Those seawater pumps sound amazing.
Two smells still in my mind: the milky lubricating fluid used on the screw-cutting lathes at Swindon loco works; and that of the water-logged cellar when my parents took over an 1880 large family home as a guest house in Devon - both from the 1950s. Attached are photos of the derelict wind driven pumps in Aden in the early 1960s. And today the world is littered with wind turbines erractically producing electricity. Another smell: that of the catacombs at Kensal Green cemetery.

Attachments

• 96 & 97  JPEG.jpg
    96 & 97 JPEG.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 98 & 99 JPEG.jpg
    98 & 99 JPEG.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
Two smells still in my mind: the milky lubricating fluid used on the screw-cutting lathes at Swindon loco works; and that of the water-logged cellar when my parents took over an 1880 large family home as a guest house in Devon - both from the 1950s. Attached are photos of the derelict wind driven pumps in Aden in the early 1960s. And today the world is littered with wind turbines erractically producing electricity. Another smell: that of the catacombs at Kensal Green cemetery.
Even better than I imagined - is there anything left of them today?

Is it me or is that an ex RAF building? concrete driveway and flat roofs.
You're correct, it's an airfield operations block where missions would have been planned and controlled. The building would have been sealed with filtered air passed through ducting to all the rooms.

Even better than I imagined - is there anything left of them today?
I've had a look online - both at Google Maps and at forces websites with photos of the saltpans. On Google I found three of the towers in a line, between what look like still worked saltpans and a new road. They had no sails or remains of them, and they looked very clean, almost as if they had been refurbished. One of the photos - from the 1960s - showed two close together; they could have been two of the three visible on Google Maps.

Latest posts

Back