Bennerley Viaduct, Ilkeston, Derbyshire - January '10.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImmortalShadow

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This place has probably been done to death here, but it was mine and KingofDerby's first visit here. It was also our first taste of Urbex in 2010. I've read about this place on the internet, seen photos of it and seen video's of it on YouTube so, after a chat with KingofDerby, we thought we'd visit it. Also, our like for the Great Northern Railway made us want to go too.

A bit of history taken from [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennerley_Viaduct[/ame].

This wrought iron lattice work viaduct is 1452 feet long with the rails 60 feet 10 inches above the Erewash River. Most railway viaducts at the time were brick built but the foundations of the Bennerley Viaduct were subject to a great deal of coal mining subsidence therefore, the lighter wrought iron design was chosen. The viaduct was built between May 1876 and November 1877 and forms part of the Great Northern Railway Derbyshire Extension which was built in part to exploit the coalfields in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. The viaduct consists of 16 lattice work deck spans, each 76 feet 7 inches long supported on wrought iron columns with stone capped blue brick foundations. There were three additional iron skew spans at the Ilkeston end of the viaduct which carried the railway line over the Erewash Canal and the Midland Railway's Erewash Valley Line. At the Awsworth end of the viaduct there was a section of embankment (including bridges of more conventional brick construction) which has been demolished. The Nottingham Canal passed under this section. The viaduct was built for the railway line between Awsworth Junction and Derby on the Derbyshire and Staffordshire Line and opened in January 1878. Bennerley Ironworks was originally due north of the viaduct served by sidings connected to both the Great Northern line and the Midland Railway Erewash Valley line. After the demolition of the ironworks a British Coal distribution depot served by sidings from the Midland Railway occupied the same site. This has now also been demolished.

I particularly like this viaduct because not only does it have interesting shapes, it has umpteen chances for perspective shots which I adore. A return trip might happen in Summer, so I can take advantage of the shadows. Also, so I can get to the base of the bridge. That wasn't possible this time due to it being muddy and wet underfoot.

Anyways, enough chat. On with the photos!

IMG_7976.jpg

Plants have had the oppertunity to grow from seemingly nothing.
IMG_7998.jpg

IMG_8018.jpg

This red thing (of doom) would've been used to inspect trains, but because the line obviously isn't there anymore, it's of no use to anyone. I wanted to climb ontop of it, but didn't really trust it much and the bars weren't particularly strong. One of the red thing (of doom)'s wheels are shown in the photo beneath this one.
IMG_7991.jpg

IMG_7994.jpg

Please mind the gap.
IMG_8025.jpg

One taken from the start of the bridge looking right down to the other end.
IMG_8050.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Excellent pics mate, I love Bennerley Viaduct. When we went I just wanted to get over the damn thing as quick as possible, but Mendo and Fairy Girl (my 5 year old) wanted to stop every few yards, pose (fairygirl not mendo lmao) and take pics. :rolleyes: Then when at the other end, she wanted to walk the whole way back again. :eek:

Nice work mate, it has great views from the top too. :)

:) Sal

Thanks, Sal :) haha every second word that came out of my mouth was either 'wow' or 'cool' or 'awesome' :lol: this has to be my favourite bridge/vidaduct (it's the only viaduct I've been over) I've been to. I think I prefer it to Friargate Station bridge.

Yeah I took a few photos of where buildings etc once were, you get fantastic views from it. We tried to get to the bass of the viaduct, but it was too muddy and wet unfortunatley :(

Nice one jimba, i really like this place, although i think the red thing you mention is a much more recent addition to the viaduct for maintenance and inspection purposes, added long after the last trains ran along the top, it looks as though it can be moved along to different areas, it's sturdier than it looks and is pretty safe to clamber down onto :)

Nice one jimba, i really like this place, although i think the red thing you mention is a much more recent addition to the viaduct for maintenance and inspection purposes, added long after the last trains ran along the top, it looks as though it can be moved along to different areas, it's sturdier than it looks and is pretty safe to clamber down onto :)
Thanks for the comment :) sorry it's taken me a while to reply, I've only just noticed this!

The red thing looked like it was there when the railway was in use - you could see the wheels were stuck between the gaps and that it wasn't going to move anytime soon.

I really wanted to climb ontop of it, but it was fairly wet and I didn't want to slip. As for going down that ladder and getting inside, that just looks plain scary, long way to fall :eek: also didn't look very strong at all.

Latest posts

Back