bindon abbey (both) dorset

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freespirits

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
well folks ,another find which i saw on my os map and went sploring ,,this was a 2 mile walk from the campsite and what a lovely place ,it is now being used as a beauty /therapy business but they allowed me to walk around and take pics this is the 2nd placement of the abbey ,,i also managed to find the original ruins as well ,so the first couple of pics will be the original abbey ,,the gatehouse still remains on the 2nd site and i hope my pics do it justice as this is well worth a visit ,,,so peaceful i didnt want to leave ,,oh and the site of the first abbey is on a military firing range ,,

The ruins of this medieval Cistercian Abbey of Bindon are situated within the parish of Wool in Dorset. The abbey was originally founded at Little Bindon (near West Lulworth) by William de Glastonia in 1149 and colonised by monks from Forde Abbey. In 1172, the abbey moved to a new site (sometimes called Great Bindon) close to Wool village, the land being provided by Roger de Newburgh and his wife Matilda.

The abbey remained small, but survived until the suppression of the smaller monastic houses under Henry VIII in 1536. It was then briefly reprieved, but finally suppressed at the General Dissolution in 1539 [1]. The abbey buildings were mostly demolished soon after the dissolution and the stones used for other building projects, possibly amongst them the building of Henrican coastal defence castles at Sandsfoot and Portland [2]. One result of this is that very little of the abbey remains today - except for foundations. From these it is possible to identify various features of the abbey buildings. Authorities like the RCHM(E) state that it conforms to the usual Cistercian ground-plan and that it is possible to identify the church, the cloister garth, a sacristy and a chapter-house with monumental slabs [3]. Parts of the ruins are more complete; part of the north-west arcade remains standing to an height of about 25 ft. and the sacristy and chapter-house has traces of vaulting and some moulded features.

Several traditions have been preserved that relate to the abbey. One of these relates to the hospitality of the monks. In the nineteenth century, the Rev. Walter Kendall (then Vicar of East Lulworth) recorded a Wool resident named Thomas Trim as hearing people say that a bell was rung at one o'clock each day, "when they might go and have a dinner and no one asked their business and that men in the fields used to unhitch their horses from the plough and go down there for refreshment" [4]. Only slightly better documented is a tradition that the abbey contained twelve bells and that these were stolen from the abbey at night (probably at the time of the suppression) and ended up in the churches of Wool, Coombe Keynes and Fordington. Some locally preserved doggerel recalls these events.

dorset277.jpg
dorset275.jpg
dorset274.jpg
dorset273.jpg
dorset096.jpg
dorset095.jpg
dorset092.jpg
dorset086.jpg
dorset083.jpg
dorset081.jpg
dorset078.jpg
dorset075.jpg
dorset066.jpg
dorset069.jpg
dorset062.jpg
dorset059.jpg
dorset056.jpg
dorset053.jpg

thanks for looking ,,

the rest are here (hopefully)
http://s907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/crazycarper/bindon abbey dorset/

Interesting find. Sadly the same grease mark/smudge in the centre of your camera lens that was evident in the pics in your St Mary's post are here as well. :cry:

thanks and yes it appears so ,,,,im no david bailey but i think the subject matter is more important than the quality of the pics ,,im not going to be putting them in the tait ,,and i know you cant convey the atmosphere with pics but to me thats what its all about

Great ruins, a bit too far for me to venture. Pics 5 and 6 are intriguing.

For heaven's sake, invest twenty quid in having your sensor cleaned, and then keep your greasy fingers out of the camera's intestines.

why thankyou m'aam ,,honestly though its a magical place very calming ,theres a stream behind it and it just seems to be perfect ,,i didnt want to leave

Latest posts

Back