Birnbeck Pier, Weston-super-Mare, December 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T4toria

Reaction score
South Wales and anywhere else that takes our fancy
Visited the Pier in December 2011

Info from Wikipedia:

Birnbeck Pier is a pier in Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, England. It is situated on the Bristol Channel approximately 18 miles (29 km) south west of Bristol. It links the mainland with Birnbeck Island, a 1.2 hectares (12,000 m2) rocky island just to the west of Worlebury Hill,[1][2] and is the only pier in the country which links the mainland to an island.

The grade II* listed pier was designed by Eugenius Birch and opened in 1867.[3] The gothic toll house and pierhead buildings were designed by local architect Hans Price.[4] The pier has been closed to the public since 1994.

Turnstiles

DSC08961 by T4toria, on Flickr
Need a shower?

DSC08932 by T4toria, on Flickr

DSC08919 by T4toria, on Flickr
Looking up the pier towards the shore

DSC08909 by T4toria, on Flickr
Inside the clocktower, with the birds!

DSC08896 by T4toria, on Flickr
Inside the hall - floor was a bit dodgy

DSC08835 by T4toria, on Flickr
Gorgeous old organ

DSC08829 by T4toria, on Flickr

DSC08808 by T4toria, on Flickr
A room with a view!

DSC08801 by T4toria, on Flickr

DSC08782 by T4toria, on Flickr
Looking down the steamer pier

DSC08776 by T4toria, on Flickr

DSC08775 by T4toria, on Flickr

Now that the pier is sold. I would like to put forward an idea for it's future. If the walkway could be strengthened, or maybe rebuilt, I had the idea of putting a ballroom at the end of it - something to rival Blackpool tower ballroom but out in the sea. What do you think?

That part of Weston needs bringing back to life and with the plans for a hotel on the site of the former Grand Hotel, it may be the icing on the cake.

Wow! Fantastic photographs there!

I have wanted to go there for a while but never really had the chance, maybe I will take a trip up there over the next few weeks!

Thanks for posting :)

Latest posts

Back