Bletchley Park - Jan 16

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is disgusting that so much history is being left to decay, well done for moving it,

All the really important historical paperwork from this place is already archived in the Public Records Office and salaries and wages paid by the old Post Office organisation are also in the Public domain. What you have here is a pile of paperwork, that in the days before scanners and hard drives, would have been subject to a rolling program of 'cast off and burn'. Depending on 'in house rules' mundane/routine paperwork was stored for a specific time and then either burnt or buried on the tip - my old organisation evidently had a 2 year limit after payment/cheque clearance and on none health staff matters 5 years, before things could be destroyed, obviously serious problems sent the individual's file to a special department for longterm saving. Organisations, Companies and even individuals when moving premises or offices just tend to walk away from piles of old paperwork, even today. It just has nuisance value to them, nothing else. My personal view is this stuff, if just private personal records, should go where it was intended - the incinerator. Old identity files are an identity thief's dream find, even old ones can be used to build up a false identity.

Last edited:
This is incredible,I took History as an A-Level and we spent a few weeks learning about this (we also watched the Imitation Game, easily in my top 4 films). I find it amazing how they've left it like this, even with all the files supposed to be destroyed, just left lying around!

Superb. So much here needs to be preserved. Shame that old Commodore is trashed. The related computer museum may be able to use the parts, and would be interested in that hand written code.

Back