Boeing 747-200 - Manston - December 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This combines two of my passions. Urbex and aircraft.

I just wondered how you got into the aircraft. Was there an air bridge or steps or was it something more adventurous?

Great pictures, very haunting to see such a powerful machine sitting in silence after travelling the globe moving tens of thousands of people to their destinations.

Thank you for putting these pictures up.

Carefuls! No access questions allowed! Public forum remember!

Oh what a cracking explore! As a former airline pilot, I have had to "retire" a few aircraft in my time. There is something so terribly sad about that last ever shut down. I think most pilots feel for an aircraft that will never fly again. The last one I did was a 737/400. I don't mind admitting I sat in it fir quite a while after landing and shut down just looking at the all-too familiar controls, the navaids and when I left it, I just stood awhile. You know, they look noble - and also, in some ways like a favourite pet dog who has been shut away in the barn with no idea why no-one loves it any more.

Oh, I know - pilots, eh?

Oh and yes, I prefer analogue instruments too. Even though the glass cockpits carry analogue backups, when you are in the sim and they fail all the electronic displays, it does feel like being airborne in an expensively furnished shed! I liked the 747/200 series a lot, but then I cut my teeth on the early 737s. - They were analogue too! I have to admit, I would have had to see if there was anything left to start the APU! (Highly unlikely, but like most pilots, I become 9 years old when I sit in the pointy end!

It was awesome! Did a revisit recently, (see urbex themed portrait 2 thread) - sadly it's getting a little moldy and worse for wear...

Keep an eye out for UrbanX's report, should be up soon!

Looks like all you would need is a ground power supply and it would start right up...probably not though. Very sad to see it in what I am sure is its terminal state.

No doubt it would cost way too much to bring her up to flight status again, and as we all know, money is the only thing that matters these days.

Latest posts

Back