Boeing 747 - Secret Location

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny, the thing that never fails to surprise me about planes is just how flimsy they actually are... :err:

There was a programme on television recently where there was a 747 stripped down & then scrapped, piece by piece. They used a wheeled machine which snipped it into half along the middle then into smaller bits.

It's funny, the thing that never fails to surprise me about planes is just how flimsy they actually are... :err:

You are so right there - B52 - reduced to a pile of scrap by pilot error - should never have happened. Over confidence & arrogance combined - fatal consequences.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUEhNKBi4DY[/nomedia]

Last edited:
Most planes use light alloys, so can be fairly flimsy.

I remember seeing one being broken up by a grabber on a crane, which ripped though it like it was tin-foil.

If that's the one that everyone else has been doing then you're brave drawing attention to yourself on site by using flash!

Jumbo Jet

I had the pleasure of being on the first BOAC 747 to Nairobi and, back then, passengers were allowed to smoke on board and nobody felt threatened if you asked to 'visit the cockpit'!

My sis has worked for BA for nearly 20 years, as an "Airbourne Tubular Aluminium Transportation System Customer Services Agent" ("Hostie" to you and me!), so have been "up front" many times since - and it never loses its' appeal.

If you like crawling around historic planes, try the Vulcan (G-VJET) parked at S-o-S Airport. A mate of mine works for one of the local companies that help maintain it and took me for a look-see.

Complete thrill, especially as my Big Bro was a 9 Squadron Vulcan Jock before being posted to 1FTS (where he got me flying in a JP5 :):) )

I don't know of any places in the UK where you can find too many abandoned aircraft but I used to live in Kiev (Ukraine) and drove to and from the UK a number of times.

There are loads of things to see on the route, including a Hind being used as a garden ornament, a field full full of rusting MiGs and various other bits of ex-Soviet militaria, not just of the flying kind.

Anyway, ta for the 747 pics - as you can tell, they brought back loads of memories!

Back