Boston Victorian Cemetery - July 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rectory-rat

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Evening all :) I was unsure whether to post this or not, as I suppose its not strictly speaking derelict, although its certainly the unkempt part of the cemetery, and has a derelict chapel in it. But if you pit it...no offence taken ;)

getattachmentca827yxc.jpg

Boston cemetery was opened in 1855 and since then nearly 38,000 burials have taken place. There are some 10,000 memorials in the cemetery. Prior to the opening of this cemetery, burials would have taken place in local churchyards or in the former St. Johns Cemetery, Skirbeck Road, Boston

IMGP2779.jpg

IMGP2824.jpg

IMGP2827.jpg

IMGP2822.jpg

IMGP2811.jpg

In the original part of Boston cemetery several impressive memorials can be found, the most famous of which is that to Sir Herbert Ingram MP, founder of the London Illustrated News. Ingram drowned along with his son, when the vessel they were aboard sank on Lake Michigan in North America. His body was returned to Boston and buried in the cemetery.

IMGP2819.jpg

IMGP2820.jpg

IMGP2817.jpg

IMGP2818.jpg

A small area of war graves, rather better maintained...

IMGP2830.jpg

Two chapels were originally built opposite each other at either side of the road leading from the gatehouse. A further can be found at the end of this road.

open_day_poster.jpg

Today, the right hand chapel no longer exists, and the other two lie in a derelict state, being used a storage. The Boston Victorian Cemetery Trust is hoping to bring them back into use, although seems to be having little luck...

IMGP2808.jpg

IMGP2785.jpg

IMGP2791.jpg

IMGP2792.jpg

IMGP2793.jpg

IMGP2794.jpg

IMGP2798.jpg

IMGP2774.jpg

IMGP2770.jpg

IMGP2769.jpg

Thanks for looking in guys, your feedback good or bad is much appreciated as ever :lol:
(Original chapel illustration, map and history taken from borough council and cemetery trust websites)

~RR

I find it quite sad that Cemetery's are not taken care of more.

Looks like a cracking location, nothing pittable about that mate! Cheers for posting them up! :)

Old cemetery's are worth looking round as you find parts which are very overgrown and in cases like this hav edisued chaples, just seems a shame they get like that. BTW the war grave commision looks after that area and if I'm not wrong there would have been a big cross there as well. Nice work :)

Thanks for the comment guys, glad you like it :) It does seem surprising they're not rather more cared for, although the area is preserved as a nature reserve which I believe explains the allowance of all the vegetation...

~RR

I love old cemeteries. This is super - especially the chapels and (I assume) dead house. My favourite has a "Friends" groups who have done a great deal to restore it but hopefully without losing its wild appeal.

Thanks again for all the comments guys, I appreciate it :)

Love that, whats the score on the church?

Have a look into this group, you may find it interesting :)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/140078746089399/

Well, the preservation trust is trying to get in bought back to use, but as some kind of community project/gallery/event centre. But as ever money's a constant struggle, as well as trying to comply with planning regs. They hold various fundraisers etc to try and build up the funds...

And thanks for the linky, I shall have to join methinks :)

I bet Ingram was a bit whiffy by the time they got him home!

Nice work dude, very enjoyable.

Aye, I should imagine so! :sick:

Thanks, and btw, are you guys still up for meeting for a day in Berlin? Cos I just keep adding pins to my GE lol :)

~RR

What a fantastic report. I am always pulled two ways by cemeteries and vhurchyards like this. Part of me is dismayed that they can be left to get in such a state, yet another part of be appreciate the subtle beauty within the decay. Fantastic pictures!

In regards to Ingram, he was probably rich enough to afford an embalming. One can't be seen stinking out the cargo hold, or possibly first class cabin. Of course not everyone could afford to embalm their loved ones or ship them back home. In my local cemetery there's a 12 year old Austrailian boy buried who died of apendicitis while on holiday in the Uk with his parents. Sadly they had to bury him here and return home to Oz

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back