Brinksway Air Raid Shelter, Stockport - February 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEWY

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Went to visit the Brinksway Shelter in Stockport....
This is one of a few Air Raid Shelters that make up a labyrinth of tunnels under part of the town centre.
These provided shelter and a way of life for Stockport and Manchester families through the dark days of the Blitz.
The tunnel system is carved into the soft sandstone.
Mostly just the bunks remain (most tipped over), but we did find a few other small items from the war. :)

a few of my pics......

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Have always promised myself to visit the tunnels ,I believe they are a mile long and provided shelter for over 6,000 civilians during the war,even more tempted now,thanks chewy

Hi Storm :)

think we covered most of this one if not all.
we had a good hour and half down there.
bit repetitive, but still good to see.

i found a little map (after i came home)
would've been handy on the day :lol:
the scale at the bottom is 50m :)

brinksway.gif

Wow! What a brilliant shelter complex! Wish there was something like that up here. Good photos too mate.

Great pics chewy

We have got the Victoria Tunnel BL, originally built to carry coal from Spittal Tongues pit under the centre of Newcastle to the bank of the Tyne. It was used as an air raid shelter during WW2. Here's one of the entrances to it
VictoriaTunnelentranceByker1.jpg

It's securely sealed now but I believe it has been opened in the past on occasions for organised visits. Anyone here ever seen inside?

Last edited:
Yes the Victoria tunnel is accessible still. As is the old shelter in Ouseburn Culvert.

Last edited:
Thanks BL & Melvin :)

here is some maps for some others in the area...

Chestergate.jpg

Dodgehill.jpg

think there was 6, maybe 7 shelters at one time :)

Wow they really were complex weren't they? Presumably they were constructed rapidly too

Latest posts

Back