Brutalist Ipost (Green Hospital) - Italy '23

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Trying to catch up with Priority7s reports! (At least he's being kind and putting up places I've never seen)

This is the former “Ipost”. It was commissioned by Ipost (the postal social security institution of Italy ) as a colony, hotel and holiday centre for the children of postal administration employees. It was inaugurated in 1975 and operated until 1997, also offering job opportunities for the inhabitants of the surroundings. It was built by "Pessina constructions" with an estimated cost of over 13 million euros today.

27046_383884094790_597758_n.jpg

Historical image

IMG_7093.JPG

In the 23 years it was active it hosted around 18,000 children of postal and telegraph workers and giving work to around sixty people. Later, a hotel was added to the colony, which however did not achieve equal success and went bankrupt in 1992.

142165836_10225260284842024_6961007723971003931_n.jpg

Then in 1997 they walked out of the remaining building. Forever.

IMG_7014.JPG

IMG_7017.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

It was in operation until 1997. Then the closure led to years of abandonment until the transfer of ownership to the government, in 2010. Which called a tender to refurbish the buildings, without results: all blocked by appeals between competitors.

IMG_7028.JPG

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_7035.JPG

The Court of Auditors judged the management costs to be very high. The complex thus ceased activity and ended up at auction. The valuation of the hotel, almost 2 and a half billion old lire, discouraged possible buyers and the auction went deserted. Instead, the Colony was fenced off.

IMG_7032.JPG

IMG_7041.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

The entire area of the complex (13,000 m2) consists of two large reinforced concrete buildings which are deteriorating significantly and pose a danger, to the extent that the entire surrounding area has been secured to the non-explorer at least.

IMG_7042.JPG

IMG_7043.JPG

IMG_7069.JPG

Then in 2004 a second attempt was made, reducing the price tag to 613 thousand euros without changing the outcome. Seems mental now, that wouldn’t even but a small detached house in my street. (Although it was estimated to have needed 8.4m euros worth of work…)

IMG_7049.JPG

IMG_7052.JPG

IMG_7067.JPG

IMG_7076.JPG

Quotes I have found in local newspapers from residents include:

“completely out of context”

“ugliness that has nothing to do with our territory”

“Thee long period of abandonment has further made it indigestible”

Shame. I like it.

IMG_7053.JPG

IMG_7055.JPG

IMG_7057.JPG

One aspect of this whole surreal story that is perhaps less known. Originally the design of the two megastructures was conceived for a seaside location; in other words, it must have been one of the many summer camps that are still present here and there on the beaches of the Tyrrhenian and Adriatic seas. They too all abandoned and on my ‘to-do list.

I love these wacky windows. They look kooky, but I imagine they would give views to adults, wheelchair users, and children indiscriminately:

IMG_7060.JPG

I also found an old photo where you can see these windows in the background:
86280828_10218943377168932_2514138855666352128_n.jpg

Then, when the idea of a seaside destination faded, this small mountain village was chosen and the project, now ready, was carried out up here, due to an entirely Italian anomaly.

IMG_4179.jpg

Anyone who pauses to observe the architectural peculiarities of the two buildings realizes that they have nothing to do with the mountain. But I love the juxtaposition. Stood on the roof gazing across the olive draped mountain-scape I feel somewhat of a “In the gutter looking up at the stars” feeling.

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4175.JPG

Last edited:
I think you and Priority7 are trying to out do each other that last shot hits the spot. Amazing it is just left to rot

Priority 7 doesn't work as hard as me, so got a full 7 day holiday. This was far too long, so I flew out to put an end to his shenanigans after seeing 3 days of this on the socials.

Firstly he avoided me. Hiding. Could I find him in Milan?

IMG_4110 - Copy.JPG

No.

Was he in Florence?

IMG_4132 - Copy.jpg

No.

I ended up drinking fine red wine on an air conditioned train, travelling at 300Km/h before I could even get close to stopping his shenanigans. Forced to trying a local wine for every region I passed through. I can't express how awful it was.

IMG_4127 - Copy.jpg

I eventually caught the toerag. How was I repaid?

Constant sabotage of my amazing photos...

Honestly, the amount of times he 'accidentally' gatecrashed my forum defining shots...

IMG_7034 - Copy.JPG

Terrible behavior. He should be banned....

Clarification Disclaimer:

Apologies:
If anyone didn't instantly recognise the sarcastic / jovial tone of my post. It's a neutral text based forum posting and I understand its not easy when it's just text on a screen to always acknowledge the tone.

So to clarify:
P7 and I are the closest of friends. I wouldn't endure that 13.5 hour (awful, yet quite drunk) journey for anyone else.

He's been an absolute gentleman - he's only posting reports on here for places I haven't been to - just to allow me the opportunity to post first. I applaud his contributions to this forum waaaay above mine. Just don't tell him. OK?

Priority 7 doesn't work as hard as me, so got a full 7 day holiday. This was far too long, so I flew out to put an end to his shenanigans after seeing 3 days of this on the socials.

Firstly he avoided me. Hiding. Could I find him in Milan?

View attachment 522954

No.

Was he in Florence?

View attachment 522956

No.

I ended up drinking fine red wine on an air conditioned train, travelling at 300Km/h before I could even get close to stopping his shenanigans. Forced to trying a local wine for every region I passed through. I can't express how awful it was.

View attachment 522955

I eventually caught the toerag. How was I repaid?

Constant sabotage of my amazing photos...

Honestly, the amount of times he 'accidentally' gatecrashed my forum defining shots...

View attachment 522951

Terrible behavior. He should be banned....
Honestly I am shocked....I wasn't the one carrying a blow up doll everywhere with my. We missed UrbanX so much we took a blow up version with us for the first 4 days, I have to say he was less trouble, never lost him on a site, tea total and looked after the car whilst we explored without any complaint....even in the searing heat 🙃 JK

Back