Bunker drain, Warrington - April 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThenewMendoza

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Having promised myself I would get more underground stuff done this year I finally managed my first REAL drain explore. Visited with Gibbo, Bungle, Lawrence and Havoc the five of us met nearby and headed into the beast.

Bunker2.jpg

Bunker1.jpg

We already knew this was an extensive system, stretching a few miles beneath Warrington, it consists entirely of concrete RCPs, throw in a number of chambers, steps, ladders, pipes and err, more concrete, and some valves, you get the idea, it's a fantastic explore and virtually on my doorstep.

Bunker4.jpg

Bunker3.jpg

We spent somewhere in the region of three hours underground, but had we investigated some of the sidepipes heading off of the main drag, we could have lost a whole load more time down there.

Bunker6.jpg

It took a forty minute route march to get from one end of the system to the other (and we weren't hanging around, this was double time! lol) and by the end of it we were all aching of back, legs and feet.

Bunker7.jpg

I've previously seen some fantastic pictures come out of this drain, and had high hopes that I would be able to do the same, but mile after mile of RCP took its toll, leaving me tired and grumpy (hey, I'd just finished a 10 hour shift at work before we went down ;)).

Bunker8.jpg

Bunker10.jpg

A truly different experience, and one to return to at some point, I need to work on my pictures, I'm happy enough, but could do better, I reckon.

Bunker9.jpg

TnM :)

i think your pics are ok:)

it nice to see somewhere that i wouldnt go:)
cheers

Awesome stuff. I really want to do a proper drain too, after having only done culverts.
That big plughole thing is wild.

Well, we have finally cracked the mighty Bunker drain of warrington, 3.5 miles (ish) of RCP stormdrain under the streets of warrington!!

an astonishing mix of chambers, stairs and mile upon mile of RCP make this an AWESOME experience, then to top it off at the end a lovely swirlpot!!

anyhow, on with the pics!!

the first major chamber you come to is the triangle chamber

DSCF3722.jpg

one of the smaller staircases
DSCF3726.jpg

junction
DSCF3728.jpg

looking from a chamber into the endless pipe
DSCF3729.jpg

ladders to the surface
DSCF3730.jpg

the GIANT stairs!!
DSCF3734.jpg

Another chamber
DSCF3735.jpg

valves (think these were on a watermain)
DSCF3741.jpg

the bottom of the swirlpot
DSCF3742.jpg

DSCF3743.jpg

the top of the swirlpot
DSCF3745.jpg

and perhaps the rarest thing down there was this
DSCF3731.jpg

MENDO REMOVING HIS HAT!!!!!

bungle

nice one guys is an interesting little drain, you got some good images. we never made it to the end when we did it as we ran out of time and patience.

nice one guys is an interesting little drain, you got some good images. we never made it to the end when we did it as we ran out of time and patience.

i know what you mean i was getting the same way myself, it does get a bit "samey"

but intresting non the less

bungle

Where is this drain system because if its in warrington its on my doorstep. Can you tell me how to get to it because I would like to explore it myself and see how far it goes.

If you do a bit of research with Google, you'll find the location within ten minutes. It's literally on my doorstep too (within five minutes of my house!)

No offence, but have you done any research? Drain locations and access aren't just handed out. How do we know you're not from Yorkshire Water? :)

Latest posts

Back