Castor ROC Post - Northamptonshire Group - July 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sYnc_below

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Explored with Winch It In

Site: Castor ROC Post - Northamptonshire Group - July 2010

Opened - February 1962
Closed - October 1968

Explored as part of an 8 ROC Posts in one day tour we visited Castor ROC Post, location of a well publicised suicide by a local farmer some years ago who hanged himself in the access shaft. Perhaps this has put off the chavs as the post is in no worse condition that when Sub Brit visited back in 1997, apart from the fact that the compound is now totally overgrown and it took us several laps of the site to locate the hatch and crawl on our hands and knees through the undergrowth.

Good deed of the day was rescuing a sick looking toad that probably fell down the severed at ground level FSM tube and bringing it back to the surface.

Also present at this site is a great example of an Aicraft Observation Post, originally this would have had a canvas cover on top and some steps.

I was experimenting with camera settings (epic fail on most which got deleted :rolleyes:) so apologies for the quality on some shots.

Castor_ROC_July_2010_01.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_02.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_03.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_04.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_05.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_06.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_07.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_08.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_09.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_10.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_11.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_12.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_13.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_14.jpg

Castor_ROC_July_2010_15.jpg

Not bad for a 68'er. When was the suicide? Recent? I would not step foot in that post because of that. Top marks for rescuing the toad.

I have one an i dont know what it should look like or what should be in it. At the min its got a load of old doors and being used as a chicken coop :neutral:

If you send us a pic of it so I know what type it is, i'll try and tell you what it should look like and what would be in it!

Our aircraft post is just like the one pictured, but its been smashed up really bad!

I meant to txt you....that's what yours should look like!!!.....plus a cut down telegraph pole and some steps....I'll email you the scan I was talking to you about as soon as I get 5 mins.

Ahh thought so when I saw the pics, thanks mate

988099366_Pic2_cg2.jpg

From Subbrit. It has a wooden door. And some sort of bed thing at the back which has chickens in atm.

Ah yeah if I remember correctly therese ones have one room with bunks and stove in, and another where the instrument would be placed.

Latest posts

Back