Cathkin Park Glasgow

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellycat

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Just behind Hampden Park in Glasgow lies Cathkin Park ( the old Hampden). This old stadium was build in 1884 and held the first all ticket football match between Scotland and England in the late 1800's. It was also home to Third Lanark football club. The stadium used to hold up to 50,000 spectators who used to regularly pack the terraces. Third Lanark went defunct in 1967 and the ground has been derelict since then. You can still clearly see the old terraces which are now mostly overgrown with foliage. The odd football game still takes place there, but it is really eerie standing on the overgrown terraces imagining what is was like back in the glory days. It's quite sad really.

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0488.jpg

DSCN0487.jpg

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0480.jpg

DSCN0489.jpg

DSCN0484.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

*Corrected*

I've read that 3rd Lanark were intentionally bankrupted by a developer who wanted to build on the site, but only when it was too late found that the council wouldn't allow it.

Last edited:
That's really neat seeing all the trees growing on the terraces. Quite strange considering that the pitch looks as if it's being kept maintained. Nice find, SC. :)

I've read that 2rd Lanak were intentionally bankrupted by a developer who wanted to build on the site, but only when it was too late found that the council wouldn't allow it.

Haha, I like it! :mrgreen:

That's really neat seeing all the trees growing on the terraces. Quite strange considering that the pitch looks as if it's being kept maintained. Nice find, SC. :)

Haha, I like it! :mrgreen:

Sorry, a cock-up on the proofreading front there!

Latest posts

Back