Centre for Alternative Tobacco Crops (CRA-CAT), Scafati, Naples, Italy, August 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
The former Centre for Alternative Tobacco Crops (CRA-CAT) is located in Scafati near to Naples in the Campania region of Italy. Original operations date back to 1895 when the “Experimental Institute for the Cultivation of Tobacco” was established by royal decree, using the former Royal Bourbonico Polverificio buildings, previously established by King Ferdinand II in 1854 to produce gunpowder for the Italian army. The aim of the establishment was to look into ways of increasing tobacco cultivation.

After being renamed CRA-CAT and the construction of newer buildings to the south of the original site, the 1970s and 80s saw the institute continue investigations into techniques of tobacco cultivation, including research into genetic, agronomic, treatment and processing technologies. However, in the 90s, CRA-CAT suffered high turnover in its directors and a lack of funding. In 2004, with the establishment of the Council for Research and Experimentation in Agriculture (CRA), the focus of operations shifted to research into the identification of crops that could replace tobacco. The exact date that operations ceased at the site is unclear, but the site now sits derelict and forlorn, dominated by the four-storey admin block.

2. The Explore
Saw this place pop up on my research prior to coming to the Naples area. It was about 20 minutes’ drive from where we were staying, so early one morning while the family slept, I popped over in our hire-car to check the site out. Having parked up and walked over to the factory, it was relatively easy to access the site. Once in, I started to methodically explore the site. Having checked out the factory spaces, I then turned my attention to the hulking admin block. As I turned the corner to the main entrance, I was surprised to see someone on a mattress outside, just waking up. I darted back round the corner and went to the back entrance. Just as I was about to go in, a fighting-style dog appeared. Although it didn’t start barking, it unnerved me, so at that point decided to bail. Having done a block, I returned and saw the guy who was sleeping rough there climb over the factory fence, having thrown his dog over, then walk off down the street. At that stage, I didn’t fancy another clamber, so called it a day, having failed to explore the admin block. However, all was not lost as I’d got enough pictures of the rest of the site to still merit a report.

3. The Pictures

Front of house:

And in we go:

Abandoned Fiat 500:

Admin block rear:

Interesting three-winged concrete building with water-tower on roof:

Internally, it’s been pretty much knocked around:

A little bit of half-decent graff:

This part of the factory complex is really photogenic:

Love these Italian Macchi scales:

Old hand-painted sign:

Factory gable end:

This interesting ensemble is at the rear of the complex:

And yet more empty factory space:

Obligatory old chair shot:

This looks like some sort of loading bay:

Side of factory in the morning sun:

Front shot of the admin block:

This looks like some sort of temple:

Finally, a quick picture of the original Royal Bourbonico Polverificio building:

Back