Crisp Delf mine, Skelmersdale, - September 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bungle666

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Well aflter a week away, i was desprate to get out and do something. i have looked at crisp delf before and thought hmmmmmmm that looks LOVELLY!! so after a few calls a small meet was setup!!

Myself and thenewmendoza met bigjobs, littlejobs and stoka in a car park and we were off to the mine!!

it has to be said this place is AWESOME!! the pics really do not show the scale of the place, its HUGE!!

anyhow, pics!!

DSCF5014.jpg

DSCF5018.jpg

looking up towards the exit!!
DSCF5020.jpg

giant jengatastic is this place!!
DSCF5021.jpg

the workers took some real care down here, there are wetaining walls built by the dry stone method, that look SUPERB!
DSCF5022.jpg

some hanging death!!
DSCF5024.jpg

another levell, more jengatstic shots!!
DSCF5033.jpg

small off tunell that leads into the last section.......
DSCF5036.jpg

OR if you dont fancy the tunnel, you can go over the top!!
DSCF5038.jpg

the LEANING towers of jenga!!
DSCF5044.jpg

another worrying point is the fact the roof is held up this rather rotten telegraph pole.......
DSCF5047.jpg

me looking at a MASSIVE rock fall
DSCF5050.jpg
B..

The wooden pole may be for monitoring the height of the roof.
They are loosely fitted, held in with stones and if the roof sinks the pole
gets jammed and it's time to get out...

Excellent mine this. Love all those deads stacked up at the side, and that big shale block thats come down. Quite a nice collapse that.

Looks like the pillars got robbed a bit too much there. At a guess those concrete supports have been added long after closure.. They very much have the look of "Feck me, get something under that roof!"

They aren't really giving much support either. All the stress is effectively going down four small pillars at the corners. Most of the "support" is just empty space. I can't see that any miners would have put them up. Based on no evidence whatsoever I'd guess the council surveyed it at some point in the last 40 years and this was their answer.

Nice one. Looks like a really fun explore! :mrgreen: Those support towers look well dodgy though, especially in pic 10! :unsure:

Looks like the pillars got robbed a bit too much there. At a guess those concrete supports have been added long after closure.. They very much have the look of "Feck me, get something under that roof!"

They aren't really giving much support either. All the stress is effectively going down four small pillars at the corners. Most of the "support" is just empty space. I can't see that any miners would have put them up. Based on no evidence whatsoever I'd guess the council surveyed it at some point in the last 40 years and this was their answer.

Was going to say something similar! Also, if the roof falls at that angle (it won't fall as planned!) it will push the stacks sideways.

Nice mine this but rather scary with all that loose stone teetering all around you. Well done for getting in there. :)

Latest posts

Back