Crosslee Appliance Factory, Hipperholme, West Yorkshire, June 2020.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossthehawk

Reaction score
After doing some digging, I'd found a place that I don't think has been explored before, although I could be wrong as I haven't checked everywhere.

Also, due to the size of the building, there were a lot of photos taken, so this is a meaty post. If you have a vegan internet connection, turn away now.

Brief History

The 24,200m[SUP]2[/SUP] facility, at its peak, employed approximately 650 people. The facility was owned by a company called Crosslee, who was best known for producing a variety of washing/tumble drying appliances under the 'White Knight' brand. Unfortunately, in June 2019, the company had announced that the site was no longer viable, due to 'rising raw material costs, increasing competition from abroad and also online sales'. The site was then left vacant for a short while after this and demolition had since been approved by Calderdale Council, sometime in April 2020. Unrelated to the main site, the Crosslee factory had owned a spare plot of land to the north, which was sold before these events and is being earmarked to build up to 50 homes. The fate of the actual factory site is currently unclear but various sources have claimed it could be anything ranging from a new supermarket to mixed-use land. Demolition is still ongoing and is going to take up to 30 weeks, due to the asbestos and the sheer size of the site.

Explore Time!

Initially, I had tried to access the site nearly two weeks prior with two friends, however, we were put off by the fact that the security booth, near the main entrance to the site, was still manned and had power. There also appeared to be no external demolition at this point (but a digger was present) and there was also A LOT of cameras around the perimeter. To test this theory, I had shone my torch towards the building from the main road, out of direct sight from the booth, where the guard reacted by turning on the perimeter lights and activating some weird siren noise.

I then decided to visit the site on my own nearly two weeks later, just before sunrise (externals were taken on exit, as it was brighter). Thankfully, this time, I'd managed to gain access as security was no longer present and the power seemed to be off! That said though, I had near-miss with police stopping and then reversing on the main road, parallel to this site with bigass windows running all down the side of the building I was hiding in. This, combined with the darkness, wind, loud banging noises, and the fact that I was alone, unnerved me a little bit but hey ho!

I spent a solid three hours hiding/walking around in there, so it was a good day out since I'd traveled from southern Lincolnshire! Given that it was being demolished, there was also a nice amount of cool machinery left around, which hopefully you'll enjoy seeing. :)

Externals

teWkaU7l.jpg

g8LrmnQl.jpg

qNc6g5Kl.jpg

61f8BvYl.jpg

A helpful map from the very first room I entered!

SZIgzsUl.jpg

Manufacturing Department

fiDuVZIl.jpg

JCZPm9wl.jpg

i0DWTXAl.jpg

mztiuQJl.jpg

kinoEJSl.jpg

KLJIBKAl.jpg

w6PekIUl.jpg

TS7LjD7l.jpg

An intact toilet room!

pFMfzaNl.jpg

Final Assembly Department (Remnants Of)

a0gqJ4Ql.jpg

7H19xHTl.jpg

Despatch/Packing/Stores/Goods In

uBDch4Fl.jpg

TrZd6lol.jpg

OGJZPkul.jpg

k23u9Vml.jpg

eIpcvwZl.jpg

Tool Room

HOwHekal.jpg

Offices

nXPnCMhl.jpg

9EwNICul.jpg

OPCXBq1l.jpg

Medical Room (Within Office Block)

OnDb0iml.jpg

1ihsmIPl.jpg

Rooftop!

KS2rIJJl.jpg

The restaurant area had been completely demolished by the 2nd time I got there, so I didn't manage to catch any photos of that, sadly.

If you made it this far, thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed my first post!

Last edited:
Fantastic stuff.

"there were a lot of photos taken, so this is a meaty post. If you have a vegan internet connection, turn away now"

Well I don't eat meat, and I liked it! :)

Latest posts

Back