Crow Manor feb/mar 2017

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
incredible!
This is probably one of the best residential sites, so far this year. The shot with the flag really is a beauty, you have done a brilliant job photographing each room and item in turn, I personally never find a reason to use any wide lens anymore, so seeing your shots rather wide is inspiring aswel :D

Thanks a lot dude...def get ur wangle on;)

It is a house and yes i see what you mean about Addams Family lol. When I see Dave I shall mention this to him, if he's not already in traction:p

I Enjoy your style of describing your explores PV, your feeling of excitement, frustration and pure joy comes through.
From the first pic to the last it is enthralling, I Loved it, Many Thanks 😁

Thanks for your comments Smiler, most kind of you...my ramblings aren't always wasted then;)

Fantastic write up ! NIce to see a well written and absorbing back story based upon your experience of the place and paired with such beautiful, well exposed shots of this epic looking house. Very well done :)

OMG a proper blast from the past:D...did that awaken u??? lol We miss ur reports!!!

In the original build the two separate 'attic' rooms were for the House Keeper and Butler, whilst the interconnecting rooms were for the scullery, kitchen and other young maid servants who made up the domestic staff when this place was first occupied. Census returns indicate that the Butler's position was soon swapped for a 'Head Cook'. Typical of its type - being built for show and on limited finances, the construction was typically poor and the condition of the building today reflects this. A delve into the records of the planning applications associated with the conversion to flats should give more historic details, should anybody be interested. This building is well known to those of us who were interested/involved in the preservation of large Georgian houses in the 70's, when many were standing empty or being demolished because of death duties.

The fact that you find almost identical designs of windows, doors, ceiling cornices / plaster work in all Georgian period properties, is due to the fact that the prominent architects of the day published books containing complete details of their designs. Thus the local jobbing architect in any small provincial market town could draw up plans that replicated buildings seen in the major County cities. Sadly construction methods in these inner town or city Georgian terraces were sometimes very poor - an apt description would be Jerry Built. Many years ago I had a flat that consisted of the whole of the first floor in a Derby Georgian terrace, my sitting room was what would have been the principle bedroom of the house and it had a very springy floor. One day whilst helping my landlord fit a new ceiling rose in his living room we had to lift the floorboards in my sitting room and the reason for the springy floor was revealed. Instead of the floor joists being a single length of timber spanning the interior walls, most were made up of two length joined by a overlap joint held by hand made 6 inch nails. As the terrace of eight properties were built, when the builders reached first floor level they just laid lengths of joist timbers along the whole length of the terrace, overlapped each joint by approx one foot and banged in half a dozen six inch nails. Jerry building and building on a tight budget at its best. However with its cast iron gates at the top and bottom of the street, good old Hartington Street must have been the in place to live when it was first built.

Thank you Dirus Strictus for that interesting info:D...I do have a question though lol. Do you know how the term Jerry Built came about? If referring to Georgian architecture then what first comes to mind is obviously in the wrong era, plus it would probably be spelt with "G", and the Germans were renowned for doing a decent job within industry so it can't be a reference to them? Hmmm...I wonder lol

Glad you didn't have an "Only Fools and Horses" moment with that ceiling rose:p

That is one special place and you did a damn fine job of doing it justice. Such a strange collection of stuff. It's like flamboyant chaos stood still if that makes sense. One of my favourite reports, ten points and five gold stars to you!

Oh yes that makes perfect sense to me Brewtal:D Thanks dude!

Really enjoyed reading about your adventure and the splendid way you photographed each room.Thanks for sharing your incredible experience.

thanks flyboys90...I'd better not get use to such positive feed back, I've set my bar too high now lol...i visited an empty shed yesterday, downer.

(Picks Jaw off floor)That, Sir, is truly epic. Stunning place.

Its always me pickin me jaw up off the floor...or pickin meself up from falling off me chair:D...or slappin meself around the chops for gettin somewhere too late...either way it hurts lol so this place is prob a one off for me lol

Cheers mate!

Well, after another day of searching, I think I found it - looks like it was due to go to auction but was withdrawn. Will keep my eye out :)

Hi Chris, well done for finding out some more info on the place:D. It often takes me so long to find stuff out on places they have been redev by the time i get there lol

Latest posts

Back