Crownhill Fort

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent first report mate. I've never been myself but following this thread i see little need to go there now :lol:

This was a really good explore, thanks underworld for the opportunity.
Taken me a while to submit my pics (only just become a member), not really into my photography so nothing amazing just a few to show my attendance.

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

The last time Crownhill Fort was actively used in a military situation was during the Second World War, when anti-aircraft guns were positioned in the fort. Following the war, in the 1950s, it had a Gun Operations Room built on the parade ground, incorporating part of the Officers barrack. It then continued as a home for the 59 Independent Commando Squadron Royal Engineers until 1983, despatching 647 troops and 1,897 tonnes of war material during the Falklands War. The fort was purchased 3 years later by the Landmark Trust, who have restored Crownhill Fort to be the best preserved example of Palmerston's forts. In completing this task, Landmark Trust have received much assistance from grant aid courtesy of the European Committee, English Heritage and the Heritage Lottery Fund.

In 1968-70 Crownhill Fort was also home to 24 Brigade HQ and Signals Squadron, it moved there from Tidworth. I was in the RAF as part of 604 Forward Air Control (FAC) unit attached to 24 Bde, I left 604 FAC in 1970 when I was posted to 3 MHU (RAuxAF) at RAF Mountbatten.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<http://claremont.islandblogging.co.uk>

use to go here as kid most years for there open day show. mayb that when this all started for me, my family takin meinto tunnels lol :)
its good in there, mayb i shud go again.
kelly

In the late 70's, Royal Engineers based at Seaton Barracks across the road were handed the task of blocking the underground tunnels here to stop kids entering the fort from an access point via the ditch. I'd be interested to see any photos from these blocked up parts as would the RSM who overlooked the work!

sure is a great venue, did you check out the hidden cave /tunnel in the moat it doesnt actually go anywhere but is very strange. felt very much like a small mining tunel as it just ended at a blank wall.

Latest posts

Back