Derbyshire WWII Airwrecks Wellington bomber R1011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistericeman

Reaction score
Visited this site along with 2 others last remembrance Sunday with a mate to place remembrance poppies on them ...

Crashed in poor visibility on 30 January 1943. 2 of the 5 crew survived.
Flight Lieutenant Anthony Winter Lane, Pilot Officer Charles Douglas Brown, and Sgt Raymond Gerard Rouse were killed. Pilot Officer Grisdale and Sgt Miller were injured.
This was a training flight. Those killed were in the nose of the Wellington.

SANY0001.png

SANY0003.png

SANY0011.png

SANY0004.png

(and yes they are .303 rounds ,I did try poking them with a stick :shock: )

A VERY poignant day out on some very bleak and low visibility moorland ....probably very similar conditions to which the aircraft foundered .

great pics m8 the weather does look a little bleak on your visit :) surprised nobody has removed those .303 rounds

considering the h&s balls we all have to put up with these days I'm surprised the army bomb squad haven't been up there to "make them safe" by blowing the buggers up!

Damn irresponsible ramblers! ;-)

Such a gloomy day and yet almost perfect to add to the sombre mood of the day.
A great little memorial of such a tragic event. It is such a shame that it was one of so many similar incidents.

I wouldn't have been so brave as to poke the rounds myself. I don't see any harm in them as long as they remain untouched. I suppose the trouble is that not everyone treats such artifacts with the same respect. (that wasn't aimed at you by the way):mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back