Derelict Bungalow-West Yorkshire 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely location, and an excellent first report. I'm not a fan of HDR but your photos are really well composed. I look forward to your future reports :)

KelseyRebecca98, I'm not going to dodge the HDR thing, patronise you or just humour you - hope that's okay!

I like the more colourful pictures as abstract and vibrant images. They're cool. I'm not sure they work as a 'pure' record of the place you visited so much though. I have looked at your other flickr pictures and already know you have a good eye and can and do take pictures which record a place looking 'natural' though - your pictures of the brickworks for example are very nice. I reckon you can do both and have fun doing both, no problem.

HDR is tricky to get to grips with, and generally has to be used along with more 'traditional' photographic techniques (albeit done digitally now in photoshop) like dodging and burning. I recommend you google these, and also something called the zone system while you're at it. I think you'll enjoy looking into them and trying them out.

Also, at the risk of hijacking your thread a little (and knowing there are some folks here who do AWESOME hdr which kills anything I've ever done), here's a link to one of my hdr pictures for you - you'll see it is a lot more subtle. Getting brightly coloured hdr is really easy - keeping it toned down is much much harder.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malonesworldphotography/4574966593/in/set-72157623984210606/

KelseyRebecca98, I'm not going to dodge the HDR thing, patronise you or just humour you - hope that's okay!

I like the more colourful pictures as abstract and vibrant images. They're cool. I'm not sure they work as a 'pure' record of the place you visited so much though. I have looked at your other flickr pictures and already know you have a good eye and can and do take pictures which record a place looking 'natural' though - your pictures of the brickworks for example are very nice. I reckon you can do both and have fun doing both, no problem.

HDR is tricky to get to grips with, and generally has to be used along with more 'traditional' photographic techniques (albeit done digitally now in photoshop) like dodging and burning. I recommend you google these, and also something called the zone system while you're at it. I think you'll enjoy looking into them and trying them out.

Also, at the risk of hijacking your thread a little (and knowing there are some folks here who do AWESOME hdr which kills anything I've ever done), here's a link to one of my hdr pictures for you - you'll see it is a lot more subtle. Getting brightly coloured hdr is really easy - keeping it toned down is much much harder.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malonesworldphotography/4574966593/in/set-72157623984210606/

Had a look through alot of them, i understand what you mean and i think i might edit this post and put some better pics on and some orginals, your photos are really good and make them little colours stand out really well, thanks for advie :)

No problem - just keep shooting and visiting, stay safe and have fun. Remember, Charlie says always tell your mummy before you go off somewhere (your dad will explain...) and you'll be fine!

Nobby1974;183381 I like the more colourful pictures as abstract and vibrant images. They're cool. I'm not sure they work as a 'pure' record of the place you visited so much though. I have looked at your other flickr pictures and already know you have a good eye and can and do take pictures which record a place looking 'natural' though - your pictures of the brickworks for example are very nice. I reckon you can do both and have fun doing both said:
Rebecca,

As a photographer myself I can do no better than quote the above paragraph by Nobby, it states all you need to remember when out and about with your camera. You can play around with your more 'abstract' images to your heart's content, but make sure that some of the images that record the overall function/condition of the subject matter are shown in your reports as true records of colour, perspective etc. The images you take could be very important in the future to somebody researching a long demolished or greatly altered building/site.

Keep up the good work, the photographs do you proud!

I really like the shot through the broken window. I'm also very impressed by the mature and constructive way you have taken the criticism. I hope this doesn't sound patronising because it isn't meant to be, but many older people would have kicked off rather than taken it on board and learned from it as you have done. You'll be an asset to the site.

I really like the shot through the broken window. I'm also very impressed by the mature and constructive way you have taken the criticism. I hope this doesn't sound patronising because it isn't meant to be, but many older people would have kicked off rather than taken it on board and learned from it as you have done. You'll be an asset to the site.

Thank you :) I don't really see the point in kicking off because there everyone's opinions and everyone has a different one.

Latest posts

Back