The Greyhound, Flempton - June 2020

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Derp_Lane

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
It has been a little while since i've last been on the forums. I'm still out there exploring but now it's simply been a case of waiting until said location is no longer explorable before it's posted publicly. That way I can share it's full history & could keep things interesting.

So here we have an old closed down pub. The Greyhound of Flempton, Suffolk. My first outing after the first lockdown, I decided to cycle through some old familiar territory in West Suffolk & check on a few spots I remembered finding. I was pleased but also a little sad to find this place now open for documenting, after keeping an eye on it in it's derelict state for a few years.

This is a pub I actually visited with my dad back in the summer of 2015 when it was still open as we were visiting a few byways in the woods nearby, and I wanted to photograph a few derelict spots there, this was back in the early days. The pub sadly closed almost a year afterwards. In my original visit it was quite well used, had 6 - 8 customers in the pub at the time of visit, all older people, it had a lovely atmosphere even if it was quite 1960s inside. It's a shame that this also ends up being a place to document before it's gone forever a couple of years later.

History: Most of the recent information + landlords is on Suffolk Camra: Flempton Greyhound || The Suffolk Pubs Guide
As I share each photo, I will try and explain what everything was and where it is including some fittings. Being an old Greene King house, it certainly has a few historic vibes left inside.

Former restaurant / Lounge bar.
1960s Bar in Lounge.
DSCF0010.JPG

The rest of the original Lounge / Restaurant. Although bare & not greatly interesting, it's impressively intact from the 1960s / 80s.
DSCF0013.JPG

Enterence: Dates in an extension from around 1960 - 1963. Here you can see the lovely early morning sun.
DSCF0027.JPG

Gents WC: "Amor" New Duranite high level cistern made in-between 1960 - 1963. Typically branded as "Shires", but branded as "Amor" if sold by Frank Love Ltd of London.
The WC pan is modern, but still has the original bakelite seat left over.
DSCF0032.JPG

Small Johnson Bros "Trent Ware" basin still survives as well in the Gents. However this is the only other sanitary fitting original to this extension.
DSCF0030.JPG

Public bar: Typical decor used for refurbishments done by Greene King back in the late 1950s / early 1960s. Including the floor tile colour scheme.
A few examples can still be found in certain Greene King houses today.
DSCF0042.JPG

Possibly? Vintage 1960 hand-pumps for real ale?
DSCF0045.JPG

Fairly primitive kitchen.
DSCF0056.JPG

Nice old 1960s Cellar sign on the door.
DSCF0060.JPG

Side enterence, from the other side of the cellar, then into the games room. I remember playing pool in that room with my dad. Typical green & yellow colour scheme in Greene King pubs.
DSCF0061.JPG

How it was on the explore: No pool table now, but in the early morning, the atmosphere feels very still, and it had a very distinctive musty scent all throughout.
DSCF0062.JPG

Dart board.
DSCF0063.JPG

View of the other side of the cellar. Hiding down the bottom right is another old cellar within this one.
DSCF0070.JPG

Here is the cellar, no idea when it was last used, or how old this chair is. A very strange atmosphere as well in this pitch black room.
DSCF0071.JPG

For some reason, this part of the corridor stunk of pipe smoke, nowhere else in the building smelt like that. Although I could have just been imagining it, specially with the image in my head of the pub 100 years ago at the time.
Upstairs bedrooms are not particularly interesting, typical empty rooms with little decay inside.
DSCF0077.JPG

Small hidden roof-space at the top of the pub. One of the bar stools still survives up there. I certainly remember them in the bar on my visit.
DSCF0090.JPG

Side photo of the pub. 1960 extension to the left, original part to the right.
DSCF0104.JPG

Now for the most interesting part of this place, the unaltered outbuildings + abandoned cottage on the site. This is in a large outbuilding used solely by the pub. Perhaps the original kitchen?
DSCF0107.JPG

Inside the main room of the cottage. I assume based on the upstairs layout & large number of bedrooms that this used to provide accommodation in the very early days, whilst the landlord would have lived in his own part of the building privately. Inside, it is very primitive, aka, beautifully unaltered.
DSCF0110.JPG

Fireplace, used to heat the downstairs room & for cooking. Still retains the soot.
DSCF0111.JPG

Stairs going up...
DSCF0112.JPG

One of the upstairs bedrooms. Much smaller fireplace on the side, but probably would have been quite nice once it was lit in the winter nights.
DSCF0113.JPG

Enterence to the cottage, plus on the right is an outside WC. Likely private?
DSCF0123.JPG

1940s - 1950s W & J Lawley "Perfect" cast iron cistern. The Polythene pipe is 1960s, but on the right is an old capped off galvanized cast iron pipe fitting. Likely once fed by a CWS tank inside the outbuilding behind or the pub?
As these days I work on & document antique cisterns in my workshop. (Naturally ones in derps stay where they are) I had a look in the cistern to find also a 1960s replacement H.P part 1 float valve.
These had M.O.H Pattern Portsmouth float valves when new, and a change in water supply to CWS fed to mains fed would involve a change of float valve. M.O.H pattern valves were built to only handle the required water pressure.
The Perfect was discontinued in the mid 1950s and was replaced with a bakelite version similar to this called "Perfecta".
DSCF0125.JPG

A back photo showing outside WC on the left, outbuildings / barn in the centre, and the main pub on the right, where the pool / games room once was.
DSCF0127.JPG

As of early 2023, this pub is now being sadly fully redeveloped into becoming a house... Work is now well underway and this old inn housed full of history is now sadly no more.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCF0035.JPG
    DSCF0035.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Still some atmosphere to the place. The high level WC cistern reminded me of the one in the outside loo by the kitchen garden to my 1880 childhood home. It still worked, and one day I was using it when I yanked too hard on the chain. The cistern came off the wall and the lead pipe to the pan twisted as the heavy lump of water-filled cast iron threatened to stove my head in. I'm still here, but the WC is long gone.

Still some atmosphere to the place. The high level WC cistern reminded me of the one in the outside loo by the kitchen garden to my 1880 childhood home. It still worked, and one day I was using it when I yanked too hard on the chain. The cistern came off the wall and the lead pipe to the pan twisted as the heavy lump of water-filled cast iron threatened to stove my head in. I'm still here, but the WC is long gone.
I had one in my last house just a few years back, I may put one in teh downstairs loo where I live now

Nice to see a unmolested pub, though pubs generally dont really do much for me tbh
I agree that certain places dont need posting to protect them, which some people just dont get.
Indeed but yeah it's mainly the last part of the place that appeals for me especially. I love clay-lump buildings. There will of course be a time someone in 10 years time wonders what the Greyhound was like as a pub so yeah that's why it's posted.
Awesome, though chances are if you find a proper original & restored cistern there is a chance it'll be me selling it, all tested & garenteed.

Goodness me that takes some going. Although I recently did a removal for someone that also had an old cast iron cistern. I was shocked at how easily everything just came out. Literally crumbling out the wall with the touch of a finger.

Back