Derelict Street, Chelmsford, Essex -2006

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightbuoy, i used to live in Chelmo and remember driving passed that road one day and was just shocked they'd all gone! Why on hell could they just not resell them? It is houses like that that give a town character?!? The uni has alot to answer for they have sold so much land in Chelmsford. I once dated a security guard who worked on an old uni site near Rainsford Road and that was up for demo.

Thanks for posting those pics! Sad to see them gone :-(

These scenes are so remeniscant of many streets around my area.
I'd love to urbex them... but the area is like that for a reason... noone wants to go there ;)

edit: just got back from work... Drove passed another area in my town that's scheduled for demolition... a whole row of terraced houses and shops... Again as with the ones I mentioned earlier it's in a fair rough area...

Last edited:
Apologies - only just discovered this site; and therefore this article - late to the party! Great pictures of a very interesting (and rapidly changing) part of Chelmsford...

These are indeed the old houses that were integrated into the former Central Campus of Anglia Ruskin University. The Central Campus was home to the University's Nursing courses (pre 2008), and years ago, these houses were used as teaching bases for some of those nursing related modules, and student 'overflow' facilities.

As a former surveying student at ARU, I remember these houses formed part of a linear and levelling survey exercises. The brick building which runs down half of the street on one side is the back of the former Built Environment Department - quite an impressive building from the other side, built in the early 1900's. As of 2008, the University had mostly vacated the Central Campus (having sold the whole site for redevelopment).

Although its unfortunate that these houses are set for demolition, they really were 'out on a limb' - a very abstract place to have a suburban street - theres nothing quite like this street or type of housing nearby. Over time, it was inevitable that these 'oddball' properties would be swallowed up into the University's portfolio, and as ARU started to out-grow its aged Central Campus, those houses would inevitably get dragged into the land-sale / demolition equation.

Apologies - only just discovered this site; and therefore this article - late to the party! Great pictures of a very interesting (and rapidly changing) part of Chelmsford...

These are indeed the old houses that were integrated into the former Central Campus of Anglia Ruskin University. The Central Campus was home to the University's Nursing courses (pre 2008), and years ago, these houses were used as teaching bases for some of those nursing related modules, and student 'overflow' facilities.

As a former surveying student at ARU, I remember these houses formed part of a linear and levelling survey exercises. The brick building which runs down half of the street on one side is the back of the former Built Environment Department - quite an impressive building from the other side, built in the early 1900's. As of 2008, the University had mostly vacated the Central Campus (having sold the whole site for redevelopment).

Although its unfortunate that these houses are set for demolition, they really were 'out on a limb' - a very abstract place to have a suburban street - theres nothing quite like this street or type of housing nearby. Over time, it was inevitable that these 'oddball' properties would be swallowed up into the University's portfolio, and as ARU started to out-grow its aged Central Campus, those houses would inevitably get dragged into the land-sale / demolition equation.

Hi MJH -thank you for this additional information :)

Back