Diamant Brauerei. Magdeburg.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindle

I travel alone. Wanderlust
Reaction score
Starting life in 1843, the Diamond Brewery was the brainchild of two brothers, Albert and Hermann Wernecke. They started by brewing in their parent's kitchen.

Expanding dramatically over the years, this is not I repeat not an image of their parent's kitchen. The brothers died, the brewery changed its name: Actien Brauerei.

Lidl.

Don't ya just love Lidl, quality food and very reasonable prices, sometimes I visit Lidl (we have four in my hometown), just to mooch the middle aisle. The middle at Lidl rules OK.

They also have very generously sized car parks, which are free for customers. Yeah well needs must, two bananas later and I am staring in awe at the brewery, which was conveniently about 100yds away.

_DSC2925.jpeg

The "Brauhaus" is now a physiotherapy type place. There is also a micro brewery keeping the name alive and various other small enterprises dotted about the site. Softly softly catchee monkey

_DSC2926.jpeg
_DSC2919.jpeg

So I spent quite a bit of time outside......trying to find a window to climb through or a door "to fall against."

_DSC2863.jpeg
_DSC2866.jpeg
_DSC2865.jpeg
_DSC2864.jpeg

lovely wrought iron stairs and I love the long drain pipe

_DSC2867.jpeg

And there it was a magical hole, complete with somewhere to rest for those queuing to get in.

C'Mon.
Let's Mooch

_DSC2868.jpeg

Lovely a dark basement, I don't eat carrots so I don't have uber night vision.

I sit. I wait. I let my eyes adjust. Silence.

_DSC2876.jpeg

Well bugger me!
I shall not go into great explanation but let's just say when the buckles are released I guess you would have a rather sore pooper

_DSC2878.jpeg

An empty bottle of solvent based liquid nearby, Not poppers but maybe just maybe.....every little helps. It certainly predates the eu directive on labelling harmful substances which came into being in the early 90's.

_DSC2875.jpeg

If my moral compass was not always pointing North, that would be framed and on the wall of my study by now. That is History, celebrating 150 years of the Diamant Brauerei. The building I am in ceased production early in 1991, but continued in a different location in Magdeburg.

_DSC2869.jpeg

Speaking of different locations let's wander a bit

_DSC2872.jpeg
_DSC2871.jpeg
_DSC2870.jpeg

"Dear customers!
The beverage market is closed on 2.2.92."
"The beverage market of Sieverstor strasse is open from 8am -2pm"

23w2HKYaoeYhfBbbsa6SrcAX4VGyNDLaA2EBiULUpPFF1AQiB3HnqgQehFTAoARPhk18h.jpeg

They came from far and wide to enjoy the party.

_DSC2880.jpeg

Wandering aimlessly, I have to say, the corridors of darkness, until eventually finding my way to the business end of the complex

_DSC2882.jpeg
_DSC2884.jpeg
_DSC2883.jpeg

Plenty of soft furnishings, I am thinking this place is a popular place, maybe for the local riff raff to hang out,

_DSC2881.jpeg
_DSC2885.jpeg
_DSC2886.jpeg
_DSC2887.jpeg

Another floor, another little bar of sorts. Going down again and some big big empty spaces

_DSC2894.jpeg

Just making out the footprint of where vats or vessels of some description stood

_DSC2889.jpeg
_DSC2891.jpeg
_DSC2892.jpeg

Teagle openings high up on the wall and some sturdy old steps to go back up again, follow the arrow I guess

_DSC2893.jpeg
_DSC2890.jpeg
_DSC2897.jpeg
_DSC2895.jpeg
_DSC2899.jpeg

So without much effort at all the door opened quite easily, they say "curiosity killed the cat", even with my limited German I understand the message

_DSC2905.jpeg
_DSC2901.jpeg

Although I understand what went on in the basement, I am not sure what went on in here; it is obviously part of the brewing process. It is just a guess, but given the conical shape of the structure I believe I was at the top of the tower as seen in the snap below.

_DSC2910.jpeg
_DSC2900.jpeg

But looking at the floor I did not venture beyond the threshold; if that mesh gives way then...... "Hi, I am the reaper of souls, and your is mine", would be the last words I would have heard. So I retreated.

_DSC2888.jpeg
_DSC2902.jpeg
_DSC2906.jpeg
_DSC2903.jpeg
_DSC2904.jpeg

I love old German Fonts, so artistic in their own way

_DSC2908.jpeg
_DSC2914.jpeg
_DSC2912.jpeg
_DSC2909.jpeg
_DSC2913.jpeg

In 1941, it was the largest brewery in Saxony employing just under 700 individuals and produced, it is reported, 5 million gallons of beer in that year.

“Stadt und Land trinkt Diamant!” was the enduring slogan

_DSC2911.jpeg

The site continued to produce beer right up until the mid 90's, it has remained abandoned ever since.

_DSC2916.jpeg

What a magnificent place to visit, no floors fallen through, and more importantly I did not get bummed!

Lidl here we come.

Nitro Verdunnung appears to have been cellulose thinners - acetone. The EVP 1,50 M could have been 1.50 Marks retail price, although printing the price on the label seems strange. EVP has other meanings. M does not appear on the online abbreviation lists I have looked up.

Latest posts

Back