Dunino Den, Fife, Scotland, Oct '08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacepunk

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I visited this weird little forest glade in Dunino whilst exploring for Dunino Church. Seemingly this was used by Druid priests to make human sacrifices to appease their Gods. Blood collected in the pool and the bodies were flung into the river below. It certianly is a strange eerie place.

Oct08pt2118Small.jpg

Oct08pt2119Small.jpg

Oct08pt2123Small.jpg

Oct08pt2135Small.jpg

Oct08pt2136Small.jpg

This stone has a carved sun-dial dating back to 800 AD making it a very early Christian site. There were loads of coins on it preventing me from seeing the markings!
Oct08pt2111Small.jpg

There were loads of weird trinkets and things hanging from the trees giving it a Blair Witch Project feel.
Oct08pt2139Small.jpg

That is totally delightful. I love the fact that it's still being used to give coin offerings...I wonder what the legend is behind that? The 'prayer tree' offerings are usually hung near what is considered to be a holy well or place. Neosea and myself saw a similar one at West Kennet Long Barrow in Wiltshire last month.
Cool find! :)

I seem to remember this place inspired a setting in an Inspector Rebus novel. I can't remember which one though. That's going to bug me all night now. :confused:

Would it be The Falls? It wasn't set in Fife but I think it was a similar sort of location.

I'm pretty sure he's never name checked Dunino, because it would have stuck in my mind.

Would it be The Falls? It wasn't set in Fife but I think it was a similar sort of location.

I'm pretty sure he's never name checked Dunino, because it would have stuck in my mind.

No, wasn't The Falls. Dunino wasn't mentioned specifically, but a similar place featured. There's one up this way as well supposedly.

OK, I'm going to have to trawl through some books now.

Right, I've found it. It was Naming of the Dead. And I was somewhat erroneous.

It was the Clootie Well in the Black Isle that inspired the setting, and I don't think there is a real equivelant down Fife way.

Silly me. :embarrassed:

Right, I've found it. It was Naming of the Dead. And I was somewhat erroneous.

It was the Clootie Well in the Black Isle that inspired the setting, and I don't think there is a real equivelant down Fife way.

Silly me. :embarrassed:

That's the one :)

The Clootie Well is not far from here, nowhere near as atmospheric as this place though :)

There was a Clootie Tree appeared on Falkland Estate a few years ago. It was quite weird but nice. It stirred up the locals a bit and got the churchies writing into the local paper worrying about it. I think someone took the all cloth off in protest at its pagan origins but they appeared back on the tree pretty quickly.

Interesting site, but I bet there are all sorts of weirdos about come sunset.

Reminds me of Doll Tor stone circle in Derbyshire. Nice.

M :)

Don't remember it at Doll Tor but did see them at the Nine Ladies. Perhaps they like to change then about.

Yeah, we met a couple at the long barrow...they didn't seem too happy at us taking photos either! :lol:

A flash going off in the face didn't help ;) These people were just plan weird, going into trances at random and getting in the way.

Back