East End of Sheffield, June 1989

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic! I have been photographing the changing streets of Birmingham over the last few years. I also recently saw a helicopter view of Birmingham from around 15 years ago and it took me about 15 minutes to put it down! Fascinating stuff.

I was intrigued by this image and looked the company up

8393664688_7f037a61a8_b.jpg

...to find out this building was listed and has been re-used!

s_51f79dbc17.jpg

Lovely :)

That's what I thought Sheffield still looked like these days, then I moved here a year and a half ago and was completely amazed by the place, it's a very special city. Especially after Leeds, where I lived for 5 years. At least in Sheffield no 12 year olds are yet to shoot my window out or torch trees in my garden :p

I was intrigued by this image and looked the company up

8393664688_7f037a61a8_b.jpg

...to find out this building was listed and has been re-used!

s_51f79dbc17.jpg

Good researching Mr Bones! Yes - I've realised where this is now. Actually, it's not Brightside or Attercliffe, it's round the other side at Neepsend. Nice to see 'good news' stories like this when buildings are saved.

The best bit for me was the poster for Aztec Camera and They Might be Giants !
Sad to see Sheffield becoming an industrial wasteland, Meadowhall may be a nice enough shopping mall, but it won't leave any sort of history of human endeavour behind when its demolished.
I'm still not over the demolition of the Tinsley cooling towers.

The best bit for me was the poster for Aztec Camera and They Might be Giants !
Sad to see Sheffield becoming an industrial wasteland, Meadowhall may be a nice enough shopping mall, but it won't leave any sort of history of human endeavour behind when its demolished.
I'm still not over the demolition of the Tinsley cooling towers.

That really nails it down to the 80s doesn't it? Funnily enough like both those bands. I remember Meadowhall rising Pheonix-like out of the desolation. If you go down Attercliffe now there's still a bit of a melancholic feel to the place. Some of the shops and pubs that survived the decline of the steel industry meltdown have now fell victim to the recent recession which is rather sad.

Nice one mr_bones

:notworthy: Hughie, truly great to see photos from so long ago! (While I was still a glint in my father's eye actually)
It's exactly how I imagined Sheffield to have been during that era.

Just had to search They Might Be Giants, as I'd not heard of them, I have to say I'm quite keen!
Wikipedia.org said:
In December 2012, the band announced that their sixteenth adult studio album, Nanobots, will be released on their Idlewild Recordings label on March 5, 2013

Last edited:
Nice one mr_bones

:notworthy: Hughie, truly great to see photos from so long ago! (While I was still a glint in my father's eye actually)
It's exactly how I imagined Sheffield to have been during that era.

Just had to search They Might Be Giants, as I'd not heard of them, I have to say I'm quite keen!

Cheers Mr Dan :mrgreen: Check out "Birdhouse in my soul" and "Istanbul not Constantinople". Class tuneage.

Very cool pics, more like Threads than Apocalypse Now though :p

Talking of which those derelict houses in the first post look very familiar, anyone know if they were used in the filming of Threads?

Back