Ebridge Mill, Norfolk, April 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Em_Ux

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Edbridge Mill Norfolk. April 2011

UrbanX and I packed our bags and headed off to Norfolk not sure what to expect of the mill but she deffinetly did not disapoint!
It seemed to be floor after floor of beautiful wood in very good condition considering.
Is always lovely to see natural decay & a place that has not been trashed. An added bonus was that some of the mechinery still remains.

We want to say a big thanks to BlackShuck for suggesting this mill to us it's much appreciated :)

A little bit of history here but there's more to read at http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Watermills/ebridge.html

Ebridge Mill was also sometimes known as North Walsham Mill. The old mill was 5 storeys high and built of red brick with a slate roof.

The mill remained in the ownership of the family within Cubbitt & Walker Ltd from 1869 - 1998 when it was sold to Duffields and subsequently closed.

When the goodwill of the flour milling business was sold to the Millers' Mutual Association in 1966, the milling machinery was broken up leaving the old mill as an ancillary to the new provender mill built alongside.

During the 1800s Ebridge mill was worked in conjunction with the nearby Ebridge towermill on Mill Hill .
The tower mill was producing flour rather than animal feed as it was driving 2 pairs of French burr stones.

The waterwheel had not been used since about 1920 and was taken out in 1972

On 15th March 1969 a fire in a silo intake was put out by a fire appliance from North Walsham.

The last plans I can find for the mill are that march 2006 a scheme to convert the mill to holiday homes was passed. When we visited there was no sign on any works going on yet.

As it would of been back in the day. (Not my photo)

oc-ebridge-past.gif

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

We was tempted by this gantry but decided to not push our luck!

IMG_1417.jpg

You can see the gantry at the top of the left hand part of the building.

IMG_1444.jpg

I loved this wooden ceiling!

IMG_1413.jpg

UrbanX enjoying the view..

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1398-1.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

If you say so..... ;)

IMG_1380.jpg

Thanks to Shuck for the tip off.

Apologies if anythings a repeat, I've tried to weed it to be different!

Here’s the earliest photo of it that I’ve found from 1910:
Ebridge-1910.jpg

The mill remained in the ownership of the family within Cubbitt & Walker Ltd from 1869 - 1998 when it was sold to Duffields and subsequently closed.

When the goodwill of the flour milling business was sold to the Millers' Mutual Association in 1966, the milling machinery was broken up leaving the old mill as an ancillary to the new provender mill built alongside.

1940: With a chimney:
Ebridge20c_1940.jpg

The earliest record of the mill was on the 1834 Ordinance Survey map.

Then it appeared on the 1841 Census, when 14 people listed it as their place or work, or residence:
“William Partridge snr (75) miller.
Ann Partridge (60)
Hannah Partridge (48)
Mary Cutting (18) servant
Charlotte Howell (or Harwell) (17) servant
William Hancock (22) journeyman miller
George Youngman (20) journeyman miller
William Partridge jnr (45) miller.
Mary Partridge (40)
Richard Pygall (35) journeyman miller
Elizabeth Pygall (30)
Elizabeth Pygall (7)
John Pygall (4)
Mary Pygall (1)”

It was sold the next year, the county records state:
Tithe Award 1842
Map, James WRIGHT, Land Surveyor, Aylsham. 1841
Owner: William PARTRIDGE (of Ebridge Mill, North Walsham)
Occupier: William PARTRIDGE (of Ebridge Mill, North Walsham)
No. 259: Wind Mill Hill & Premises. Pasture”

Sold for : £9. 18s. 0d

1950: No Chimney:
Ebridge20c_1950.jpg

During the 1800s Ebridge mill was worked in conjunction with the nearby Ebridge towermill on Mill Hill .
The tower mill was producing flour rather than animal feed as it was driving 2 pairs of French burr stones.

It did have a water wheel, but this hasn’t been used since 1930, and was eventually removed in 1972.

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

Endless switches:
IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

I quickly make my way up five stories up timber ladders up to the roofspace:
IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

When I was on the ground I saw a couple of dodgy gantries up at the top level which I wanted to check out. The first being this small crossing between roofspaces:
IMG_2669.jpg

I remind myself not to look down, then look down:
IMG_2642.jpg

There was also a small balcony, two stories above the sign:
IMG_2670.jpg

Again I force myself to look down, the grating groans below me:
IMG_2648.jpg

I decide that the internal timber floors feel slightly safer than being out here and head back in to expliore the rest of the mill:
IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

The building with the sign on is purely to house silos:
IMG_2660.jpg

Silo stock taking
IMG_2653.jpg

Beautifully decaying outbuilding. No graf, all natural, just the way it should be:
IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

I leave the mill, remembering how it must have been in its heyday:

1915:
Ebridge-c_1915.jpg

And today:
IMG_2674.jpg

Even the architecture of the new, bigger building perfectly mimics that of the original mill. Perfect.

Historical Photographs used with the kind permission of Neville from http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/Watermills/ebridge.html

Back in the early 90's I used to deliver to that mill and have tipped in the intake pit pictured above....

I drove past it last year a few times in the early hours in a pea viner thinking the site looked very interesting....

Thanks to both of you for posting

Back