Fair Mile Hospital redev July'12

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettyvacant71

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Hello there peoples;)

This is just a Fair Mile update for those who actually liked her, as I know some folks didn’t think she was worth a visit! Ok she wasn’t one of the huge sprawling asylums like Cane Hill, West Park or Whittingham but she has some classic gothic styles that I found appealing:)

I first visited Fair Mile Hospital in 2005, not too long after she closed in 2003. I remember that it was a bit of a tricky place to access with CCTV and on site security. I only wish that I had some pics of the place from that early visit, but before I went digital, I was very late at changing over as I have to admit I’m definitely a techno phobe as I can crash and freeze anything with a plug, so good old 35mm film came in handy. However I can remember going to collect my films only to be told they didn’t know where they were and given a couple of cheap b/w films in “replacement” not the nice Ilford’s they had lost and with shots that I never got around to replacing, I’m still very bitter;)

So anyway, on my return visit I wasn’t sure what to expect as I’d heard redevelopment had started around 2010 and I didn’t know what would be left and if I could even get in. I soon found myself walking through a new estate with kids playing around the busy car parks, I then turned the corner and found myself standing in front of the old chapel, untouched and awaiting its turn for a new life. Well it was great to see the redev is coming along nicely without huge parts of the hospital having to be demolished. Inside has been stripped bare either awaiting repairs or having almost been finished. I spent a few hours wondering about trying in vain to find something that I’d had seen before, but nothing much was left. I remember a lot of wood panelling in one of the buildings, carpets and curtains with the odd bed...it was all in good condition as it wasn’t open to the elements, but it’s all been cleared out now.

So on with the pics to see how she’s doing...:)

FairMile2055_zpsb631ea82.jpg

There are not many signs still standing from the sites former use...I like coming across the original signs around old asylums as I find they help transport you back in time, almost as if bringing the place alive again just for the few seconds it takes for you read them.

FairMile2046_zpsfc2f6803.jpg

The little chapel is currently untouched and awaiting its transformation and new life.

FairMile3025_zpsb8548af5.jpg

FairMile3024_zpsb9d1e988.jpg

FairMile3041_zps59dbe00a.jpg

FairMile3045_zpsbec6b563.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment001_zpsba17a7e6.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment004_zpseec7dcb4.jpg

The last of the remaining original signs of its former life are being removed.

FairMileasylumredevelopment023_zpsbb110c45.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment047_zpsfeec5b3a.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment086_zps44ade912.jpg

This painted wall in the hall became a familiar site for Fair Mile explorers.

FairMileasylumredevelopment092_zpsa117117a.jpg

The hall and theatre

FairMileasylumredevelopment104_zps415c4e5f.jpg

The stage

FairMileasylumredevelopment113_zps11f8bd7a.jpg

Behind the scenes

FairMileasylumredevelopment107_zps2e603f93.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment083_zps076e7f19.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment122_zps2239486a.jpg

Installing new drainage

FairMileasylumredevelopment061_zps00891ecc.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment041_zps23205f22.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment038_zps462d4a60.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment044_zpsee8e4c93.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment067_zps770a59ec.jpg

Fortunately some of the original corridors are being kept and are being incorporated within the redevelopment as linking corridors to other apartments, but not all have survived or are not practical for the new scheme.

FairMileasylumredevelopment071_zpsfda031b8.jpg

A slice through one of the corridors....this one may be saved from demo?

FairMileasylumredevelopment072_zps767eb8f8.jpg

Repairing and inspecting the external brickwork, re-pointing and replacing any damaged bricks and joints....not that there were many as like most good Victorian buildings they were built to last by expert craftsmen....Fair Mile was still in pretty good nick compared to some of the other asylums derelict at the time.

FairMileasylumredevelopment077_zpse454f0de.jpg

This will make a stunning new entrance

FairMileasylumredevelopment080_zps35c750d5.jpg

FairMile3045_zpsbec6b563.jpg

FairMileasylumredevelopment029_zps51a754b4.jpg

new floors and rendered walls

FairMileasylumredevelopment027_zps2dbca52c.jpg

FairMile2019_zpsa58e80a0.jpg

FairMile2012_zps66579c2b.jpg

Inside one of the new apartments

FairMile2007_zpsa28e65f9.jpg

FairMile2058_zpsc1ac0ee1.jpg

The original buildings with their intricate brickwork designs on the roofs on the left with a new build on the right.

FairMile2070_zps176ea73c.jpg

This area must look familiar to some....I’m glad the huge Oak has remained as it must be over 100 years old by its size.

FairMile2079_zpsbaeccc47.jpg

FairMile2085_zpsab85a371.jpg

FairMile2091_zps1d2bffd4.jpg

Small courtyard gardens

FairMile2094_zps4fdeaaee.jpg

Original buildings on the right and the new build on the left.

FairMile4018_zps43ce5f0e.jpg

FairMile2106_zps3d246249.jpg

Inside the renovated blocks

FairMile2115_zpsc304a4f1.jpg

FairMile2022_zps79691f27.jpg

FairMile2028_zps0bc03132.jpg

FairMile2040_zps18954086.jpg

FairMile2037_zpsd3b3086d.jpg

Well I hope that if you were interested in the old girl and were lucky to have visited her in the past you can feel relieved that she is still standing and has started to breathe new life again:)

The soul of this place has long deserted the buildings, probably only the patients and staff of years ago were the true spirits of the place, then when buildings become derelict they take on another life of their own carrying hints and influences from their past. Whilst I was wondering around her bare rooms and corridors, some showing tiny glimpses of how she use to look, others in mid development with cleaned interiors and newly rendered walls and parts where the new owners were ready to move in felt fresh and smelt of new paint with surfaces protected with plastic, I couldn’t help feeling as if the place had lost a little something, she was somehow trapped in a transitional limbo, with no real identity, but I guess that will develop in a different kind of way now, over time.

But for this old asylum there IS a happy ending, which for far too many of her types do not get to see. She is being restored to her former original self, of course some buildings have had to be demolished as they were too far gone or not practical to convert into housing, but the main point is that she is still standing:mrgreen:. If only such plans could have been made for other such historic places such as the glorious Cane Hill or the Epson cluster...luckily a small part of West Park still remains amongst the new builds, Severals will sadly be next I fear, which I’m dreading as I’ve grown so fond of her and after my recent visit to the Whittingham I only wish she too could be saved, as amongst her collapsing corridors and sunken floors there are still some beautiful sound buildings, a big shame. But as with most things in life if money can’t be made from it then no one is interested in redeveloping these wonderful places and sadly more of them will be lost forever:(

Well thanks for looking folks, I hope you found it of some interest:)

If anyone has a few pics from before the redev then feel free to add them as it would be great to compare;)

Great report PV, it doesn't look to bad I suppose and its good that they are keeping the chapel. At least they haven't just flattened the site, run out of money and left the listed bits to rot/ burn...

Looks like it was a great place, the chapel is amazing!
shame about the building work and fencing though.
Very good photos :)

Good to see, missed out on this one. At least they appear to have done a decent job with the conversion.

Wow didn't even recognise the main hall even though I've been there loads, I always wanted to see what was above the horrible suspended ceiling but never realised the whole front of the stage was fake. Looks so much better now.

It's great they've done a decent and mostly sympathetic redevelopment here, just a shame I didn't get down there a lot more :(

Fantastic report! thanks for sharing this. Its refreshing to see a beautiful building being restored., we see so many beyond repair and rotting away. thanks for sharing:)

Latest posts

Back