Farm Yard Fire Engine - Hertfordshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey have you got the address for this place?

I actually discovered this site in 2005 and took some photographs at the time, however my brother, who is a vastly better photographer than i am has since been back and taken these much improved shots. It is a cluster of old farm buildings located on the North Hertforshire border in a fairly remote location surrounded by fields. The site alone was worthy of some snaps; yet i think you will agree the jewel in the crown was the discovery of an old fire engine from the early part of last century stored in one of the outbuildings. What on earth it was doing there i have no idea. As you can see the fire engine was originally from Dudley in the West Midlands. My brother has since tried to contact Dudley Fire Station via email to try to find some history on it although to no avail. I have done some very brief research and it looks very similar to an old Leyland 'Hippo' Fire Engine from the 1930's.

All areas of the buildings were explored including the upstairs loft.

Last edited:
This cropped up in discussion between my brother and I over the weekend. He informed me the fire engine was no longer there. After some internet research on the registration plate 'FOX658' it appeared that the DVLA was showing it as tax exempt and MOT exempt with the correct description of a Leyland make and year of manufacture as 1942. This spurred on more digging which reveals that there is a happy ending and that it was given to someone in 2014 who has taken it on as a restoration project.

Read the thread in this link for some information and more photos of it in service and some where it has been stripped for restoration.

Fire Engines Photos - Leyland Cub FOX 658

Lastly, yes it was stored in a barn in Bedfordshire on the Hertfordshire border near a place called Millow. I cannot remember at the time, with the title of the thread, if I was deliberately evasive with the location or simply mistaken. I tend to think the former due to having lived in a village only a few miles away for twenty-five years and moreover not wanting it stolen or vandalised etc.

Glad to be able to close this this thread with some good news. It will be nice to see this restored to it's former glory.

Latest posts

Back