Fisons Fertelizers - March 16 [Picture Heavy]

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendJT

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
History

I couldn't find an awful lot of history on this place I'm afraid, I actually thought it was a paper mill until I got home and did a little research. Here is some Wiki copy and pasting.

The business was established by Edward Packard, one of the first to manufacture superphosphate derived from coprolites, in 1843. In 1863 he was joined in business by his son, also named Edward, who was instrumental in developing the business and rationalising the United Kingdom's fertiliser industry. The business was incorporated in 1895 under the name of Edward Packard and Company Limited.

In 1919 it bought a fertiliser business founded by James Fison of Thetford in 1808 and in 1929 the parent company's name was changed to Packard and James Fison (Thetford) Limited to reflect the acquisition.

Fisons owned parts of the Somerset Levels where they extracted peat. In 1970 one of their staff Ray Sweet discovered the remains of a timber trackway. It has been dated to 3807 or 3806 BC, and is now known as the Sweet Track. A portion is now in the collection of the British Museum.

In the early 1980s the Company decided to focus on pharmaceutical products and its fertiliser activities were sold to Norsk Hydro in 1982.

The Explore

Myself and a non-member Oz set off with a few locations to check out. The first, some interesting looking platforms seems to be used by a transportation company, the second, a car graveyard eluded us and the third, Shadwell Park looked very much un-abandoned. So I checked my map and off towards Ipswich we went.

After a couple of drive bys, some umming and aahing over where we should park and a quick scramble through the undergrowth, we were in the grounds. We made our way into the building quickly, there are a few local businesses that overlook the site and we didn't want to be seen hanging about outside. Once inside, we had the run of the place, and what a place it is. Surprisingly unvandalised and with predominantly good graffiti art on the walls (none of that tagging bullshit) this was a nice little explore. The building is constructed of steel and timber, with timber flooring throughout which is showing the signs of wear in places. We slowly but surely worked our way up on the look out for damp looking spots, by the time we got to the loft space, we didn't dare venture far from the stairs. It's worth noting that on the 2nd? floor, there is evidence of a fire that has left the floor in a bad way, how this place hasn't been razed to the ground yet I don't know.

On with the pictures:

t03vnJ8l.jpg

sZFrrBvl.jpg

TZLGOoQl.jpg

v1LBSRwl.jpg

LAlXbmYl.jpg

CVjUsGAl.jpg

srUl5Sbl.jpg

Go1dfSNl.jpg

Q60ZpsUl.jpg

HwbuN4Ul.jpg

ly3zZALl.jpg

FQPUjsFl.jpg

8jUrwEzl.jpg

PPLohgkl.jpg

Why is there always a sofa?!

XvV3OEdl.jpg

E0YGyfMl.jpg

aOZjA1Zl.jpg

UxODtWcl.jpg

MuaTeCOl.jpg

lmgRz5Al.jpg

9GaQB7Yl.jpg

vXiLpu4l.jpg

All in all a nice chilled out explore.

As a side note, I know this isn't a photography forum but as you can see in some of my pictures, I've ended up with a really noticeable haze around windows. Any of you HDR gurus care to offer some tips?

I went here a few year ago and been meaning to go back for a while now.it's a lovely building externally and internally.almost American style.I missed the bits at the front last time as well.the petrol pumps and the offices.glad it's still doable and standing.guess the renovation work fell through.you got some beautiful photos from here reverend

Thanks mikey. I thought it was going to be a bit tricky at first but access was quite straight forward really. It really is a lovely building, I'll definitely be going back.

Nice work. I totally forgot this one was out there. made it look good!

Nice photographs there and a good bit of history. I think you are referring to the haze in picture 8, it happens when you photograph against the light or towards a window where beams of light are shining through, lens flare can be fixed with a hood around the outside of the lens.

Beautiful set of pictures! Love pic number 5 with the refection, really nice.

The 'haze' you are talking about appears to be lens flare on some but not all. A lens hood (or shielding the lit side of the lens with your hand) will help reduce flare from light that is hitting the lens at a shallow angle. Very little you can do if it's more direct light as it will be a 'feature' of your camera/lens combination.
Given that the light seems to be almost direct on two of them it is more likely to be dust particles quite close to the lens and therefore out of focus. Often happens in old buildings that have been used for powder processing (or are full of pigeon poo!).

The 'haze' you are talking about appears to be lens flare on some but not all. A lens hood (or shielding the lit side of the lens with your hand) will help reduce flare from light that is hitting the lens at a shallow angle. Very little you can do if it's more direct light as it will be a 'feature' of your camera/lens combination.
Given that the light seems to be almost direct on two of them it is more likely to be dust particles quite close to the lens and therefore out of focus. Often happens in old buildings that have been used for powder processing (or are full of pigeon poo!).
Thanks Druid, I'm still getting to grips with my new lens, it does seem quite prone to flare even with a good because it's so wide. I guess more experimentation will help me work out it's limitations....also, pigeon poo everywhere!

Latest posts

Back