Flat Horn Island - The Forts - June 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumbles

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Following on from [ame="http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=16970"]The Foghorn Station[/ame] the next bit of flat holm to take up the vast majority of my time on the island was the forts. In reality there wasn't enough time to even take in half of them.

fh_aerial.jpg

Flat holm island has had two military occupations. First in the 1860’s and again in 1940 during world war 2.

IMG_9827-1.jpg

In the 1850’s, Queen Victoria & Prince Albert visited france where they became concerned about the strength of the French Navy. The Royal Commission of 1860, under the direction of Lord Palmerston recommended fortification of the coast. Flat Holm formed part of a strategic costal defence system, a number of fortresses built across the Bristol Channel to protect the ports of Newport, Cardiff & Bristol.

IMG_9810-1.jpg

Flat Holm was re-fortified after 1940 despite the heaviest raids on Cardiff being over. 350 men were stationed on the island and in addition to new building being built, existing buildings were adapted for use. The Cholera Hospital was turned into a NAAFI, cinema & concert hall, where films were shown fornightly and concerts laid on monthly. The farmhouse was used as the officer’s mess.

IMG_9797-1.jpg

IMG_9802-1.jpg

IMG_9804-1.jpg

IMG_9805-1.jpg

IMG_9818-1.jpg

IMG_9826-1.jpg

IMG_9831-1.jpg

IMG_9833-1.jpg

IMG_9845-1.jpg

IMG_9847-1.jpg

IMG_9853-1.jpg

IMG_9849-1.jpg

IMG_9861-1.jpg

DSC00961.JPG

DSC00966.JPG

IMG_9871-1.jpg

IMG_9897-1.jpg

Some more on my website...
http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/index.php/the-forts-flat-holm-island/

Flat Holm was re-fortified after 1940 despite the heaviest raids on Cardiff being over. 350 men were stationed on the island and in addition to new building being built, existing buildings were adapted for use. The Cholera Hospital was turned into a NAAFI, cinema & concert hall, where films were shown fornightly and concerts laid on monthly. The farmhouse was used as the officer’s mess.

Lovely stuff!

The WW2 era forts were naval forts with naval guns and formed a string of defences against German naval invasion taking in Brean Down Fort, Steepholm, Flatholm and Lavernock Point in Wales. They also served as observation posts looking out for the mines which were regularly dropped into the estuary by the germans throughout the war.

If I remember correctly the forts suffered quite badly with falling shrapnell from the AA guns also based at Lavernock point... fun!

Wonderful! Great seeing so many gun remains, which I'm guessing would be a leetle difficult to remove thanks to being on an island...thankfully for us. :mrgreen:
Nice one, Tumbles. :)

Latest posts

Back