"Forbidden City, Portland, 05/08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right y o, iv got some info, from a site..."http://www.helium.com/items/840331-portland-rather-large-island" im not going to LINK to it, but this ISNT my writing, so i had to display the site here somwhere.

To me the most fascinating parts of Portland, Forbidden City so named by the locals was an area of Portland forbidden to any non military persons. Here in a massive complex of buildings both the Army and Navy would play wargames. Huge military battles were fought here while training for events such as the Falklands. Set up like a town; Forbidden City had office blocks, houses and shops as well as a massive radio station on the hill. It's still forbidden to enter but the locals sneak over for a look, now that all military force has been removed from the island. It's a scary risk though, as its claimed that over 100 experimental land mines remain in the area over 2 miles in radius. The buildings are slowly being removed which is sad if properly maintained this would make for a fascinating tourist attraction, kids in the state its already in just love it.

Again, that was not my info...

where is it ??

[can someone please tell me where the forbidden city is the location as i realy would like to view it as i do paranormal investigations cheers

This was really some great pictures. Sorry the place is that fare away from Norfolk.

.... It's in Portland. There's a FlashEarth link in the first line of the OP. I doubt you'll find anything there, especially if you're as unobservant as you seem.

this place used to be in an area of portland called old osprey and these were old naval buildings and headquaters, over the years they built on other areas of portland naval base and this got left to goto ruin.

this whole site was then used for thursday war games and turned into a FIBUA site (fighting in built up area's) and was used as such until the navy pulled out of portland.

on the navys retirement from the island they had a company go in and clear the site and cut and trim all the undergrowth and clear any of the old bullet shells ect from the site.

as kids we used to get into this site on a wedensday night and see what we could find, as they normally had things set up for the thursday war games, i remember one day my mate fell through the floorboards in the old asylum building and sat on a roll of blank bullets (it was one of our best finds to date lol) that they had hidden to be found, we also used to find lots of ration packs.

in the lower areas of the site there were also a couple of very scrap wessex helicopters.unfortunaly all this has now gone and the empty buildings are now falling back into the undergrowth.

Such a cool looking place, gonna be worth a visit methinks!
Great shots dude...

Does anyone know...

Is this still there and accessible? Want to plan a trip but involves expense of ferry so would like to know before I set off. Anything else I need to know?

Latest posts

Back