Former NIKE Missile site, Borgholzhausen, Germany

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romford Reject

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Opened in 1959, this housed the NIKE missiles of C 120 Sqn, which were Dutch, working on behalf of the US 509th US Arty GP

It was deacitivated on 31st March 1983

Used mainly as storage for local firms, most of the building remain but access is very limited.

Sorry, I have not a clue what the buildings were, apart from the ammo bunkers and the large hangars used to store the missiles.

034 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

Blast door in an old bunker

033 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

032 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

031 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

Where the missiles used to be stored

030 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

029 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

This looks like some sort of conveyer belt outside which I presume to be the guardroom

028 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

027 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

026 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

025 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

024 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

023 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

The old perimeter fence

022 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

Old perimeter lamp post

021 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

020 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

019 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

018 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

017 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

Entrance to site

016 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

015 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

014 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

013 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

012 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

The missiles used to be stored here

011 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

010 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

009 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

008 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

007 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

006 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

005 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

004 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

003 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

001 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

002 by Romford Reject, on Flickr

Hope it wasn't too boring!

Interesting, a NIKE- Hercules HIPAR mobile field army site by the looks. If 1959, an early one too. :)

Defence was against Soviet strategic Nuclear bombers initially with later models being considered 'effective' against ICBM's.

Thanks for posting this. Now see if you can find us an AJAX fixed site :mrgreen:

Interesting, a NIKE- Hercules HIPAR mobile field army site by the looks. If 1959, an early one too. :)

Defence was against Soviet strategic Nuclear bombers initially with later models being considered 'effective' against ICBM's.

Thanks for posting this. Now see if you can find us an AJAX fixed site :mrgreen:

You seem to know more than me about it (not hard). Found another one and posted it on here but much more of the same

You seem to know more than me about it (not hard). Found another one and posted it on here but much more of the same

It's one of my interests mate :), although to be fair you can find this info on the net. Everything about the NIKE system is de-classified now except about the nuclear warheads (surface to surface) they could be fitted with for obvious reasons. The mobile sites were mainly about conventional payload though, whole different ballgame where nukes were concerned.

I saw your other post on the later site, not surprised these are popping up now. There's a short vid on youtube somewhere of a '60's launch of one of these in the US.

Assume you're taking usual personal protective measures on sites like these (gloves etc)? Risk of irritants and contaminants can still exist.

It's one of my interests mate :), although to be fair you can find this info on the net. Everything about the NIKE system is de-classified now except about the nuclear warheads (surface to surface) they could be fitted with for obvious reasons. The mobile sites were mainly about conventional payload though, whole different ballgame where nukes were concerned.

I saw your other post on the later site, not surprised these are popping up now. There's a short vid on youtube somewhere of a '60's launch of one of these in the US.

Assume you're taking usual personal protective measures on sites like these (gloves etc)? Risk of irritants and contaminants can still exist.

Yeah I found the co-ordinates on a NIKE site, all based in Germany. I find it fascinating as well. Got a few other things lined up soon. Very new to all this lark, so never once thought about protective equipment. What a plum! :cry:

Latest posts

Back