Fortfield Hotel, Sidmouth, Devon

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about this building until I saw a report in the local paper following an extensive arson attack a couple of months ago. News item in the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-12096230

I wasn't going to bother with it as I'm not a fan of trashed, burnt-out places, but I had a day out over at Sidmouth just over a week ago and decided to check it out while there.

There aren't any interior photos or any good close-ups, unfortunately. It's far too overlooked by a lot of residential houses, as well as being obviously very dangerous in it's current condition. However, I decided to post it up as it hasn't been reported on DP before. And I was unexpectedly surprised by it's appearance.

The main entrance.

fortfieldhotel12.jpg

The hotel (black & white building) can just be seen in the distance.

fortfieldhotel11.jpg

I started my reccee from the nearby Fortfield Terrace and cricket/tennis grounds.

fortfieldhotel02.jpg

fortfieldhotel04.jpg

Steps to what once was the garden.

fortfieldhotel06.jpg

Bates Motel anyone? :mrgreen:

fortfieldhotel05.jpg

And from the main entrance side, after negotiations with a vigilant neighbour. He told me that it's due for demolition within the next couple of months and will be subsequently rebuilt. Apparently, the owners couldn't afford to update the existing building, which led to it becoming derelict. Hmmm...where have we heard that before? ;)

fortfieldhotel09.jpg

fortfieldhotel10crop.jpg

Cheers :)

Nice Foxy. Just goes to prove that you can still indulge in this hobby even when you don't have a car. Keep in touch, we still got a couple of sites which demand 35mm to team up on. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated. :)
Not much to show for the visit but I'm glad I saw it...and I enjoyed the scramble over a bank. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
looks like you might have recorded it's last moments. Surprised they haven't converted it into another old people's home.

plenty of customers in Sidmouth from what i remember ;)

LOL! In that case, BTBM, you won't be surprised when I tell you that when I walked along the seafront, there was a guy speeding along on roller blades...and he had to have been at least 80yrs old. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back