Glenfarg Railway and Tunnels- October 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardB

Reaction score
Glenfarg Railway and Tunnels- October 2008 Now with added house.

This is the first place I've visited after discovering it on DP.

Glenfarg066.png

Liquid Engineering.

Glenfarg064.png

Carved on the viaduct. There was another one from 1961 beside it. Note to self- don't try and use Macro mode.

Glenfarg062.png

Over the edge of the viaduct. I waited for a car to try and give an idea of the height, with limited success.

Glenfarg061.png

Looking across the viaduct.

Glenfarg003.png

And we're in. Obligatory burnt out car shot 1- Micra

Glenfarg004.png

OBOCS2- Cavalier. I think there was a live dog in the boot when it was set on fire.:(

Glenfarg055.png

Looking back

Glenfarg051.png

Younger son (CB) inspecting one of the refuges. I think he gave most of them a good inspection.

Glenfarg049.png

Spacepunk said on his thread that he thought this lot was from a rave. He was right. A Young Farmers' rave judging by some of the bags and all the straw lying around. I think it's all been put in black bags but not taken away so it's got scattered again.

Glenfarg047.png

This one's passed inspection.

Glenfarg045.png

Sometimes I wish our TV looked like this.

Glenfarg044.png

22 year old graffiti

Glenfarg036.png

Bridge. I have no idea what's up there.

Glenfarg035.png

Squidgy. It must have been a major headache stopping water running across the trackbed.

Glenfarg033.png

Where there's an abandoned railway there's a fence made with sleepers. It's the law.

Glenfarg031.png

"He told me we were going to Megabowl, what did he tell you?"

Glenfarg023.png

Glenfarg020.png

This looked as if it had fallen out of the tunnel but there were no gaps around.

Glenfarg019.png

You used to see rusty old kit like this in fields, then the next time you passed the farmer would be using it. I think this is well and truly abandoned though.

Glenfarg016.png

I actually took most of the pictures on the way back, so it looks like they are walking backwards.

Glenfarg012.png

Glenfarg013.png

A view. Not much of a view but after all that time in cuttings and tunnels it was a bit of a relief.

Glenfarg011.png

Pheasant feeders. I'd guess that the track has remained reasonably clear because it's used for shooting.

Glenfarg006.png

Another viaduct. I had no idea until I looked over the side.

Glenfarg008.png

The end of the line. The track continues a little bit then becomes the M90.

It wasn't until I got home that I remembered about the house. I'll have to go back and look for it.

Last edited:
I still haven't been here - i'll do it one day.

Oh yes, bring backs memories of the coldest day of the year '08 when SC and myself explored this area. Did you explore the second tunnel RichardB? It's a lot darker as Scardycat will testify.

We went from what I think would be your starting point, about half a mile from the Bein Inn on the Glenfarg side, and went all the way to the dismantled bridge just before it becomes the M90.

I found the second tunnel easier than the first one. I think what I'd read prepared me for it to be worse than it was. My 10 year old son wasn't scared at all, he ran off ahead with a torch and explored everything.

I didn't see the house at all, would I come across it if I took the higher path between the tunnels?

Since it was quite a nice day I decided to go back and see if I could find the house from Spacepunk's thread. By the time we got there it was no longer quite a nice day. I had an idea of where I was going to look, which turned out to be completely wrong.

Just after the viaduct I saw this hut that I hadn't seen before. I scrambled down through the bushes and brambles, then discovered there was a road to it a little further along the track bed.
Pottiehill009.png

At first glance it looks as if there's somebody in there!
Pottiehill049.png

A look in the window. The door was all but invisible, I only found it by accident.
Pottiehill003.png

I went down the road a bit to look under the viaduct then turned around and saw the house. Spacepunk's interior and exterior shots were actually two different buildings. These three are all the same one though. It's one of those houses with two storeys at the back and one at the front.
Pottiehill041.png

Pottiehill030.png

Pottiehill023.png

VERY rotten floor. That's another room down there.
Pottiehill016.png

Pottiehill017.png

Ned damage
Pottiehill018.png

Throughflow ventilation
Pottiehill022.png

Wired for sound
Pottiehill025.png

Downstairs I crawled under the chicken wire then noticed there was a doorway.
Pottiehill026.png

Pottiehill027.png

Inside the other building
Pottiehill031.png

Pottiehill033.png

Pottiehill035.png

Pottiehill036.png

We went through the long tunnel again and I found it darker and scarier than the last time. Maybe it was the weather. I only took one picture, which was supposed to be of a lot of young pheasants running away. I think it looks impressively grim:)
Pottiehill051.png

The weather certainly contributed to the chill factor. It's just a shame it was so wet, there was even a river running through the tunnel.

I only went today to try and find the house, I was all for going home once I'd found it but my ten year old son made a special request to go through the tunnel. A few paces into the tunnel his big brother made a special request for the car keys.:lol:

Ha ha, when I visited with Smellycat, he got a bit worried as he doesn't like the dark and as these tunnels 'bend' you can't see the light at the end.

I found this when I was browsing through Flickr this morning.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGNNolgZ7w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGNNolgZ7w[/ame]

Back