Goodbye to Tower Colliery

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheep2405

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Tower Colliery in the The Cynon Valley, one of the oldest continuously-worked pits in the world, closes tomorrow (Friday.)

In the 1990s the workers, using redundancy money and a bank loan, became the first in history to become owners after the Conservative Government decided to close it down.

Tower Colliery Ltd will now supply more 60 men and equipment to work on the development and exploitation of the newly-opened Aberpergwm Colliery in the Neath Valley, which produces around 500,000 tonnes each year of quality low-sulphur coal for Aberthaw coal-fired power station and the domestic market.

This is due to increase to 750,000 tonnes a year by 2012.

The boys that work down there that live close to me say that there are new seams, but it has become so cost unaffective that they cant get it out cheap enough. It is such a waste, but there are talks in the pipeline to get it the same status that big pit has, and turn it into a heratige museum with the workers doing the tours.

It's terrible when somewhere like this closes.
I guess it's a small consolation that the place won't be left to rot.

decent article: http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news...losure-a-time-for-celebration-91466-20372384/

the article has a good point - although it IS sad that towers closing its important to remember that theyve done an amazing job over the last 13 years,

i think the qoute from Tyrone O’Sullivan just about sums it up - “It’s a David and Goliath story – not many people took on Thatcher and won.” "there’s a happy ending"

Dave

Yes this is true, hence why i think they have decided to save it, it has so much heitage down here and such a true, people power history

Yes sad that its come to an end, Though its important to remember that Tower was a great success proving that the mass closures of pits was not only needless but completely wrong.

I will be hoping they keep the head frame, When they develop the area. I also hope the can leave something better than jobs in retail though, I'll be sure that future generations wont thank them for that.

Cheers for the link KA. :)
The ceremony they're going to close it with sounds great - emotional stuff!
Interesting too, how the miners see the idea of redevelopment and jobs created.

Program on BBC1 tonight about it, not sure if its just on the Welsh side though, but those of you with Sky should be able to get it.

Just found this when searching the papers.

Steel firm considers mine plan as Tower closes

"KING COAL” could continue to have a strong Welsh future after steelmakers Tata Corus yesterday confirmed its interest in reopening one of the nation’s “superpits”.

The steel giant’s move at Margam, near Port Talbot, could eventually secure 400 new jobs underground.

The rest of the report here,

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news...ers-mine-plan-as-tower-closes-91466-20392411/

:) Sal

Thanks for the info Sheep.

Real sad to hear about the loss of yet another pit :(
Let's just hope the Heritage idea goes ahead :)
That's a fair point WOTS. Ta for that link.

Lb:cool:

Special on bbc1 wales now if you can get it

Very sad, all the people on the news, their stories very touching.

They are all very happy that the mine has closed due to the fact that they have run out of coal, and no one has closed them, not even the government.

Interesting Video

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/ne...s_javascript=true&nol_storyid=7209180&bbcws=2

RIP Tower Colliery

I just hope it gets chance to be explored, before they do whatever they are going to do with it.

Sat 26th

Just seen this, on another site. May be worth thinking about as long as its not disinformation.

"The site will be manned until at least the end of March, with a full staff topside. Underground, salvage work is continuing, which means that the winding house, stores, etc are still in use. Whole site is covered with CCTV, which is monitored, and security are efficient. If you want to explore this place, it'd be best to give it a couple of months. Nothing's being demolished yet, and the headgear/winding house are being preserved."

Last edited:
Not going to name your source then sheepy? ;) I assure you it's not misinformation, I'm just not like that.

I will be hoping they keep the head frame, When they develop the area.

Yes, as above, the head gear is being kept and so is the winding house. I was told that by a pretty reliable source.

Not going to name your source then sheepy? ;) I assure you it's not misinformation, I'm just not like that..

Thanks I didnt want to say, but glad its true, went up last night to have a look, real bad shame its gone.

Special program details its past present and whats going to happen to it.

monday 10:35 BBC1Wales

Latest posts

Back