Greenham Common vs The Pikies

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alansworld

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
So I took a walk on Greenham Common on Sunday. The common, though largely flattened and dismantled a few years ago, features a handful of building memories, lest we forget. These include the control tower, the GAMAs of course, the "bat building" (see my earlier report) and a couple of power substations. One of these, near the road on the northern side, is the subject of this sad report.

Consider: the artefacts remaining on the common have been allowed to rest untouched for decades, serving only to remind us of what the common used to represent. For the most part the common is home to gorse, walkers, dogs, ponies, cattle and skylarks.

So, yesterday:

The substation form the path:
IMG_8954.jpg

Hang on, wasn't that a sealed door? It certainly was 3 weeks ago:
IMG_8956.jpg

But now the door's on the deck:
IMG_8955.jpg

... cruelly ripped from its moorings:
IMG_8940.jpg

Oh no, pikies, copper, etc, etc:
IMG_8942.jpg

Yep, they've had the copper:
IMG_8944.jpg

IMG_8943.jpg

IMG_8948.jpg

IMG_8953.jpg

So, there goes a few decades of untouched memories for an armful of copper. The bloody bastards.

Alan

Last edited:
Increasingly a problem down this way too, since the value of scrap metal has gone up I haven't been able to explore without seeing metal thieves everywhere. They're so blatant about it now, much more than before in my experience. The only other point worth making is that I suppose those who urbex rely on people such as metal thieves and general vandals to create access in some cases :neutral:

So, there goes a few decades of untouched memories for an armful of copper. The bloody bastards.

Agree with you totally Alansworld.

Great shame to see this happening more and more. It's depressing that these knuckle draggers are now trawling sites like this for leads. :mad:

I wish there was a way to weed them out!

Regardless of the sites history it's an unremarkable substation that has been pikied. I doubt anyone would seriously have untouched memories of a substation. Other parts of the site maybe, but this is like any one of hundreds of substations on sites up and down the country that have been broken into and robbed.

So what?

M :)

Regardless of the sites history it's an unremarkable substation that has been pikied. I doubt anyone would seriously have untouched memories of a substation. Other parts of the site maybe, but this is like any one of hundreds of substations on sites up and down the country that have been broken into and robbed.

So what?

M :)

nice to see some sense again its some old substation

Latest posts

Back