Guard pillboxes for ROF Aycliffe Munitions store

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny,
Think there's something similar at the old RNAD Bandeath, outside Stirling. I'll try to get pics for you.
Good report btw.

Johnny,
Think there's something similar at the old RNAD Bandeath, outside Stirling. I'll try to get pics for you.
Good report btw.

I've have a good scan around the ROF, CAD AND FASD sites after this report popped up and turned up a few likely candidates for some more ROF type PB's at Bishopton as well as a couple of missed type 23's and a few type 24's at other sites. I've also named the ones of this type that I know about as PILLBOX (ROF) but kept them in the PILLBOX (VARIANT) category. I suspect some have been mistyped as type 26's especially as some have regular sized embrasures rather then the narrow ones. I'd love to know about any more.

Cheers for that fluffy, if you fire up google maps or GE and locate the hangars to the west of Steventon, there is a brownish field right next to it to the East. Go into roughly the middle of this field then head South towards the railway lines following the tractor path then in the green bit just before the fence and the lines is a square concrete structure. Hope this helps mate

Thanks for your help Jonney !! Unfortunately that structure is the old shunters cabin (EAST END) for the former sidings. There is an identical one to the West end !!! Hopes dashed !! However you do win the Mr Eagle eyes competition !!! First prize a visit to a pub of your choice in Oxfordshire to talk concrete structures in fields in the uk with a like minded pillbox nut !!!:)

Thanks for your help Jonney !! Unfortunately that structure is the old shunters cabin (EAST END) for the former sidings. There is an identical one to the West end !!! Hopes dashed !! However you do win the Mr Eagle eyes competition !!! First prize a visit to a pub of your choice in Oxfordshire to talk concrete structures in fields in the uk with a like minded pillbox nut !!!:)

yeah get in another prize am getting good at this lol sorry it wasn't the right kind of concrete mate it was just the right size and shape but I'll keep looking. I will collect my prize one day matey can't miss out on a pub visit

Last edited:
Good spot Andy, that's definitely an ROF type, it even states the land is owned by the RO in the details.

Back